Multiple Webcams

Nimandir

Baseband Member
Okay, here is what is going on. I'm working for a Boarding House for dogs, cats, etc. People come in and drop their dogs off for grooming or just to keep their dogs there while on vacation. The current owner is retiring and is selling the family business to her daughter. She plans to get new computers, which I can handle, but she also wants to see about getting webcams in the kennel. That way, the pet owner can go online and see how their pet is doing.

I haven't been given any specs on exactly what she wants, but she will probably want at least 4-5 webcams for each wing of the building. I have a webcam myself, but it's just one webcam, not several. If she wants a webcam for each holding pen, she would probably need at least 40 webcams. She hasn't specified exactly what she wants and I doubt she will want a dozen+ webcams.

What kind of setup would I need for this? This isn't going to be streaming, just a picture that updates every minute or 5 minutes (Whichever refresh rate the owner decides).

Thanks in advance :D

just get a usb hub...if thats what ur using...., but the think you would want to do, it go wireless, and to do that you will need to find a wireless router, that can handle up to 40 web cams......if you hold on for like 10 min, ill go try and find you one, and give you the link

heres what i think you want-
-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833127028
D-Link DI-624 Wireless Router - Retail
~thats the rounter part

-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833127050
D-Link ANT24-0400 Wireless Antenna - Retail
~and this is the antennans that you would hook up to the web cam

~im not sure if the links will work, so if they dont, just copy and paste~
~and im not sure if this would work, cause i have never done it, but its an idea :D

No prob about the links. Looks nice, though I wish the antennas didn't cost 26 dollars ($26 X 40=more than my paycheck).Oh well, it's not my money :D

She may decide to just cover one or two of the wings with webcams and charge a small one-time fee for the customer to use the webcam when they check the dog in.

thats a good, idea to only give the cams to the ppl that pay to use them, but im not sure about that stull, cause on the antennas it looks like a weird hook up, and i dont know if that will hook up to the web cam, but anyway, i bet you could like go to a radio-shack, and get a connecter so that the weird hook up, will hook up with the web cam

Nimandir said:
No prob about the links. Looks nice, though I wish the antennas didn't cost 26 dollars ($26 X 40=more than my paycheck).Oh well, it's not my money :D

still ur lucky, you got a job......im 14, so im not allowed to work :(

arrizx said:
still ur lucky, you got a job......im 14, so im not allowed to work :(

Yes you are, just limited. I beleive its 8 hours a week and only on saturdays during the school year. And when your off from school you can work 40 hours a week.

Just that no one will hire you b/c those hours are hard for them to work around ;).

Anyways I think a better Idea would to simply just try and find an antenna, If most webcams are similar in construction, I can not see, (on mine) how that antenna would connect...

you'll need something like netowrk IP cameras. You can get them with either CAT5 or wireless connectivity. The only downside is the initial setup cost, which would be quite alot for 40+ units. However purchasing in those sort of quantities may well warrant a reduction in price?

Yeah, I've heard about some companies giving a little discount when you order a lot of items. It help influence you to come back to them in the future for their services.

I've still got time to look around, I will not be getting the cameras any time soon.

Back
Top Bottom