Problem with computer at work:

Sorry about the post count. I didn't even realize I posted 3 times.

No, I'm positive I saved it. I went back about 10 times making sure it was still the same. LOL My mom might have a disk, but I don't know if the version at work is Home or Pro. So if I have the CD it will boot into Windows without re-registering or reformatting?

Rick

i hope ... that's the plan anyway i am not sure HOME or PRO will make a difference to the booting so it should be fine.

Ok, one last question. If it boots up using the CD, will it be ok after that, or will it end up needing reformatted anyway?

Rick

should be ok once you have booted it ... don't think you will need to format but you might have to repair install or something on the lines of that.

Ok, thanks for all of the help. I'll update the post as soon as I find something out. Since it's at work, it'll probably be later this afternoon or early evening when I make it up there. Thanks.

Rick

ok, hope it works out, not many users come back and update us you know they take there help and never come back!

Updating now. I'm at work and put in the CD. It went to Windows Setup and started doing a file transfer. It asked me if I wanted to set up Windows, go to the Recovery Console, or exit. I went to the Recovery Console. Now I'm stuck. It went to a C: Prompt (DOS style) screen. What do I put in? I don't want to do setup because I want to try to keep from the old files getting deleted. Anyone know?

Rick

shouldn't be doing that .. try an select Setup Windows i am not sure if it will format your drive?

Hmm...I don't wanna take a chance on formatting unless it's a last resort and I think I'm going to have to format anyway. As I said, it's not my computer or I wouldn't be worried about it. Does anyone else have an idea if there's a command that will actually recover it? I'm going to try to reboot again with the CD in and see if it tries a different route this time.

Rick

do you have a computer you can put the hard drive into the computer KEEPING your normal drive but have 2 and get your files off it!

Back
Top Bottom