Wine & Linux Mandrake 10.0

Stinkles

Baseband Member
I have Mandrake 10.0 Linux and i have been trying to get Wine to work on my computer and i cant get it to work, so can some one give me a download and SPECIFIC instructions on how to get it installed and working? I must be a total idiot because i can't get it to work for anything. I really like linux over windows because its alot more stable but i want to be able to run all the multimedia things like flash and windows media so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thx

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=6241&package_id=80066

Download the most recent one and type this into the terminal as root.

rpm -Uvh wine-20050419-mdk.i586.rpm

Then it will install. Next, type

wine

into the terminal as the user account that you will be using. The fake C drive will be set up automatically for you at /home/username/.wine

I woudl advise you to get APT-GET to install software. It's really easy to use. Just download the rpm for your distro from www.rpmfind.net and install it. Then install the Synaptic GUI interface. All your installation problems are henceforth solved. You can install the flashplayer plugin from APT. To get streaming video, install mplayer and the mplayer-plugin. Feel free to ask any other questions you have.

ok i tried that and it gave me this error and i tried a few other things and i couldnt get it to work...

rpm -Uvh wine-20050419-mdk.i586.rpm
error: cannot open lock file///var/lib/rpm/RPMLOCK in exclusice mode
error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm

*sigh* either im a complete idiot or my computer hates me

I should be in root mode i have full privelages(I think) and im the only owner to this computer... is there somethign about root that i have not been aware of?

Mandrake should have made you create a root account and a regular user account. Type this into the terminal before installing the RPM

su

then type in the root password.

before running that command you'll need to type

su

and then enter your root password when it prompts you. From there you can do anything you wish. You cannot install rpms as a user. It must be done as root. The same is true whenever you want to run apt-get or synaptic later.

Okay. Its confirmed. I just tried installing a package in regular user mode and got the same error msgs as you. Just use root mode to install the package and you should be fine. Do remember that all packages need to be installed in root mode.

thanks yall are awesome
:) (im an extreme linux noob just got it a couple weeks ago and I just started messing with it)

Back
Top Bottom