fixing registry with reg edit.

Hawk2005

Beta member
Hi,

I have a problem with windows xp home. I have a registry back up but when I try and import the registry i have saved it comes up with the message that the system is still using certain keys and so it cannot update it fully. Is there a way of importing the registry I want to add in dos? As it does not seem to want to do it whilst the OS is running.

Didnt work

Hi, I have tried that and it doesnt work. Its like the registry file I have has a file on it which the system uses and the only way t o get it back on is if there is a way of putting back the registry whilst it is not running. You can export the entire reg ok but you cant import it again without getting these words appear saying that not all files were replaced due to the system using soem keys.

I think microsofts regedit doesnt work very well whats the point in having an export and import feature if you cant add back what you exported.

Any more ideas as I do need this registry t o be up and running.

it works for me and i have never had that message in my life! Try and scan for spyware or viruses they might be stopping you?

Hmm this is weird, but it is possible Windows or some other application that boots in Safemode is booting still.

I doubt spyware would to tell the truth. It honestly just compromises every driver except what is needed.

Type this in run: msconfig

Go to the startup tab, and check in Location. It should say where the location is. Now check carefully of what you need and don't need, checking for what key you cant delete within regedit. You should be able to right click in the registry I think to check for the program location, or search for the name.

Be careful though, modifying this can damage your system, though it does have a protection feature at startup which will ask you to press okay if it works to stop the box coming up. So ignore any that same common startup, though it probably wouldn't let you stop these anyway

After you have disabled the Service or Startup function which is stopping you, restart, and then you can probably now delete the key since it won't be running :)

I hope this helps :)

Hmm thats a point David...that seems simpler if a problem occured :p

Back
Top Bottom