no video

shaundc

Baseband Member
I have an old PIII 450mhz slot 1 system that has the option for a socket 370 cpu. I check the motherboard specs and it supports a 600mhz socket 370 cpu with a 66mhz FSB. When I bought the system it came with the slot1 450 and it runs ok. I bought a 600 mhz socket 370 cpu and I installed it. I changed the jumpers so its configured for a socket 370 and powered up the system. The system boots up but there is no display on the monitor and the monitor is on and plugged in. I powered it off and clear the CMOS and rebooted and got the same thing. I then reinstalled the slot 1 and it works fine. The FSB of the slot1 is 100mhz and I got pc-100 RAM and the socket 370 has a FSB of 66mhz. Will pc100 RAM run at 66mhz i thought it would? Has anyone had a similar problem and know what i can do to fix it? Thanks

shaun

I think the RAM could be the problem in some way. I guess this Pentium model runs from a cartridge rather than a CPU block as it were?

The screen not booting up in this case will be because the computer seems like its powering up, but isnt, and so its not receiving a signal.

I dont know much about ram to conclude this, since PC100 ram to me, is just pc100 ram..in the way I'm thinking, there shouldn't be any problem in the RAM dropping to 66mhz, though its worth checking, since maybe because the motherboards old, its not capable of doing this...

I think it might be the motherboard not detecting the cpu's specs on boot up and it acts like there is no cpu. Thanks for your reply.

Back
Top Bottom