Case swap...

setishock

Wizard of Wires
I really didn't have much of a heating problem but was tired of sitting in front of my computer freezing my hands off trying to keep it running cool. I took the half of the double wide project that hadn't been chopped up yet and transfered my p4 set up in to it. This case has 2 80mm in back and 2 80mm in front. Wrapped all the wiring in uv clear flat wrap and what could be stealthed was. All fans are running full bore and seem to be moving a chunk of air. But dang it the temps are running the same as in the other case. Seemed like a lot of trouble for naught. I have already cleaned the system just last week and regreased the heatsink for the cpu and reinstalled it. I used artic silver 5.
I have some of that poster board that is foam in the middle and paper on both sides. I was thinking of making a shelf like partition that would seperate the bottom half from the top have just above the vid card. This poster board is cheap and easy to cut out. So getting full coverage is not a problem. I would then add a fan standing up in the front of the 5 1/4 bays to pull air in to the top half. Since the two fans in the back are stack verticly I could have one in the bottom section and one in the top.
Now that you are as confused as I am any suggestions?

how big is the case? and are the front fans intake or exhaust and vise versa. There should be more intake than exhaust.

And i have no idea what you are talking about with the card board thing. Pictures would help.

Yes I would like to know what the specs were, too.
and what temps were running at what temp...would be nice too!
The splitting your case with the foam board might be a good way to truely isolate what the temps are.
Is it a stock heatsink on your cpu or is it an upgrade?
One other thing...Are you overclocking?

One thing that really is worrisome is the size of the cpu heatsink and whether or not you can reverse the attached fan to suck air through the fins and out instead of blowing air across.This sometimes actually leads to a cooler flow of air through your system.
I have reversed the fans on a few so that the air was sucked over the fins and really brought the temps down(even with just hot computer air). In as much as as your two rear case fans go...you might try to reverse the flow of one fan to blow more cooler air in from the rear so as to either blow over the graphics card or over the cpu fan and reverse that fan to cause a direct flow in and over. Or cut a hole in the center of your side panel and install a fan there to blow down on both the graphics card and cpu.
Need to know what may be heating too much to make you want to change cases to lower the temps to make a better proposal

Morning...

Stock Intel heatsink and fan. No not overclocked.
MSI 7008 ver 1 PT880 VIA chipset
Intel p4 2.4 non hyper threading
512 megs 2.5 cls DDR 400 (pc3200)
MX4000 vid card with gpu fan
C-Media 5.1 sound card
Zoom fax/voice/data v92 modem
Belkin/promise IDE exspandsion card
3 80gig hard drives
Samsung 16x dual layer dvd/cd burner
The LAN is on the motherboard and currently in use.
Allied 400 watt power supply
Floppy drive
2 80mm led fans drawing in in the front
2 80mm non lit in back blowing out

Nice set-up!
First let me edit my previous posting ...fans need to be reversed <<so as to blow air away from the heatsink instead of down towards it>>.(really tired last night) This sometimes actually allows a cooler flow of air through a system.
But I am thinking that maybe...just maybe you are getting a false reading on high temps.
You should have more than adequate cooling for what you have installed (maybe under powered???)
But the question remains as to what are your temp readings and what are you using to determine them??

Everest...

Sensor Properties:
Tsystem 16 °C (61 °F)
Tcpu 29 °C (84 °F)
Fcpu 2482 RPM
Vcore 1.38 V
Vaux 0.11 V
Vio 3.31 V

I took some pics while putting it together and I'll post the ones that will help with my problem in just a short. I have to smash them down some. Large files. BRB.

Hi Seti. It appears the cpu fan is running slow. Most run at 3500 rpm and faster as the temp goes up.

Well...

I have 3 to 4 pin adaptor. That has the pwm lead on it to connect to the motherboard. Let me try that and get back on. In the mean time here's the link to the pics. You have to go through them backwards. Go to the first cartoon drawing and go backwards to the top.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v707/setishock/

Well...

Knowing the Intel cpu chip is sturdy I unplugged the cpu fan and plugged in 2 different makes of 80mm fans. The first one a no name fan ran from the gate at 2500rpms and only fluttered slightly. The second was an Antec 80mm and started out at a little over 2800rpms only to fall off to 2500+ rpms. I saw as the temp went up the rpms went down. Looks like the pwm commands are inverted. Not good. Ok any fellow MSI Intel users able to comment on that.
I took some more pics of the system as it stands now. Same link as before.

Back
Top Bottom