Internet Not working

lurkswithin said:
You can but it won't do any more than what I said to do. The pc that you are currently working on has a SET home page and thus the auto detect is unchecked so it will direct itself to that site. Like I said the main issue you have is whether your networking adapters are installed properly. If they are then you should be able to get right on line. Let me Know 1 way or other as you may have some networking issues to deal with.

how can i tell if my network adaptors are set up correctly? If there not set up correctly how do set them up correctly. I'm guessing you need to know what kind of network adaptors im using, how can i find that out?

The thing i plug the ethernet cable into says this on it, IntelStewart SI70021. If thats of any consolation.

Also, If I were to go into the network connections on this computer whcih uses the same modem via a router as the one I'm trying to fix, could I use any of the information I find in there to set up the Local Area Connection on the computer i'm trying to fix?

go to device manager and look for the network adapter and if it is installed properly then you will see it. If not you may have a yellow ? mark or ! mark with "UNKNOWN HARDWARE"

what will the network adaptor be called? Will it just be called network adaptor? Or will it be called watever is written on the thing my ethernet cable plugs into?

EDIT:

I think i figured it out. The drivers for my ethernet controller are not installed it says. Therefore it has a yellow question mark and a yellow exclamation point to the left of it. Now if i tell it to reinstall the drivers ,it needs to connect to the internet to do so. Obviously I can't connect to the internet. Where can I get those drivers for my ethernet controller?

you have access to the web as you are online.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html
Use this uttility to find out what all is on your motherboard and all the model #'s for your ethernet adapter, motherboard info and the likes.
Then go to mobo manufacture's site and look for the drivers there or use google to locate them. Download them to a floppy or if don't fit...burn them to disc and then drag and drop the install package to your desktop and then unzip it and install the package. Then go back to device manager and double click the network adapter and choose uninstall this device. When uninstalled reboot computer and found new hardware wizard will install the drivers for you and you should be good to go.

I will be offline for a while but will be back on in a couple of hours, Maybe per or someone will take up where I am leaving off.

kk what i meant was i did not have access to the internet on the comp that was not working, i will put that file on a flash drive and install it on the computer without internet.

If this matters; i opened up my computer, the slot that the cable from the wall is plugged into plugs into this silver box. At the bottom of the back of the case there are two slots in which the cable will not fit, these are from a pci card. I thought that ethernet controllers were pci cards? Am i just wrong? Why is it plugged into (and always has been, even before the reformatting) not plugged into the pci card?

ok i got it working, and you have no idea how happy i am. I will actually get a passing grade in bio this quarter! Thanks for everyone who helped, especially lurkswithin. Lurkswithin can expect to be sent a box of chocolate chip cookies for helping me. The funny thing is, the people at CF fixed my problem before Intel could :p.

lol, cause were smarter.....but i dont even remember if i posted in this thread, lolz

ok great! and make it double chocolate chip!!
Just glad you didn't leave us hanging and let us know that everything worked

Back
Top Bottom