Linux Questions

definatley install linux i use it and its great if u use windows run a partion and use both until u decide which is better for you if u install linux use wine or crossover office ps very fast

anything you can do on windows you can do on linux plus more with more control. gaming included (with cegdea or wine)

the guis out today are absolutely amazing and quicky improving.

there are programs out there (free) that allow you to do things you can in windows.

only downside, you'll have to relearn a lot of stuff. but with great documentation and forums and irc channels it shouldn't be that hard.

its not professional for a IT person of a company to wait for answers on forums when the company's future depends on it. time is money!

Then shouldn't that IT person have already read up on all the documentation and possible past discussions that could be useful to their install?

Ok, I have to say that a Linux server/workstation is not only easier to use, but more secure as well.

As for domain name, linux requires that you either run a distro dependent wizard to change it, or edit one file. No reboot and no hassle. Right after that, you are part of the domain.

As for all this talk about linux being not ready for a workstation or desktop system... completely bogus. To say such a thing is truly indicative of that fact the you have had either limited or no contact with the OS. It might take a few minutes of reorientation to figure out how to do what you want, but that's only because you have been using windows for how many years? Had you been using linux, then windows would seem confusing.

In truth I've never sat anyone down in front of a linux box who couldn't figure out what to do. I let friends check email, use the IM client or type papers on my box and many of them don't even know they are using linux. Put a fancy theme on KDE and they think it's just an extra nice theme for XP. It's intuitive... "hmm, I want to get online.... I guess I'll go to the start menu, oh look, a tree for internet, nifty!... hmmm.... this one says, Firefow web browser.... I guess that's what I need..." click... done.

Not to incite violence or anything. I'm no fanboy and bear microsoft no malice. I use it just as much as linux. The right tool for the right job I say. No need to pick a side. I just use what works. For my games, I want to play, not edit config files, therefore I use windows for most games. When I want to do something linux specific, I go there.

I do slightly favor linux simply for the options on window managers. I can set it up to look how I want it to look. I can customize to my hearts content. That way, things are how i want them. It makes for the most efficient experience.

Sorry for the rant. Just sharing a bit of my experience.

People says that GNU/Linux is not ready for the desktop cos they are comparing GNU/Linux with Windows as the benchmark which is kinda unfair.

Since house hold computers have only been out for like 20 years and this new generations of kids are growing up with computers and are not computer illiterate fools like their predecessors. I'm not all that great with linux yet but i already like it better than windows because 1) for the most part it maintains its self 2) its a lot more stable and doesnt have to be rebooted and other stuff like that. 3) Ive had Linux for about 1/8th the time that i had windows and i havent caught a virus yet AND i havent had to buy or download one piece of anti-virus stuff 4) its faster more customizable and comes with a lot of extra stuff (that isn't just for computer noobies) like compilers, html and other things that are fun to play around with
on the other hand i dont like the fact that not to many media things and games are compatible with it mainly because 95% of the computers that you buy come with windows already installed and most people who buy a computer just for playing around on the internet dont even know other operating systems exist and they have no drive to go out and get knowledge of the other kinds so they stick with that, which kinda makes me sad :(

Although I personally really dislike Windows cos I'm into Free Software and stuff, I feel that kids these days should have more exposure to different OSes. Everybody these days just uses Windows and takes it for granted that everyone does the same.

i agree not judt the fact that its free but its more secure and stable faster and there are plenty of free programs like wine that open windows application i personaly use crossover office 4.2, everbody in know uses windows and 90% ave got viruses and ask me for help its really annoyin, just put on linux !!!

Back
Top Bottom