Internet Not working

technoman said:

An error has occurred.

You do not appear to be the owner of this album.
Make sure you are logged in.

Please push the Back button on your browser to correct this problem.
Thank you.

basically its a screen shot when i go through the installation of a new modem wizard. And it says pick from the disk or select have disk. I think thats the disc i need, but maybe im wrong.

When putting the drivers on my cd should I leave them compressed or not? Is the USB drivers the thing i need?

if the drivers and compressed into a ZIP files then you have to uncompress them ... i don't really understand whats wrong with the CD ... if the CD came with the modem then it should be fine.

k here's a little update. I use an ethernet cable. The ethernet cable goes from my computer, into a little phone jack thing in my wall. Then in my basement there are a whole bunch of wires going into my linksys router. Then one wire is going out of that into the modem. All the other computers hooked up to it other then mine are working fine. I was told that the ethernet was plug and use. I reformatted my computer, and now it simply does not work.

Do you think that the following would get my internet working;

If I were to disconnect the modem from the router, then bring the modem upstairs right next to my computer. And plug the ethernet cable DIRECTLY into my computer. It would then detect the modem and do anything it needs to do. Then I could turn off my computer. Disconnect the modem. And hook the modem back up to the router. Would that work?

Ok, guys let's relook at this thing...
He says he is using a surfboard CABLE modem on a lan card.... This shouldn't even being shown in device manager. And NO DRIVERS are neccesary unless you need to install via USB.

Sorry but you are looking at the wrong issue here. You need to make sure that your network adapter in the device manager is installed and running properly. Then :
plug wire from wall to lan card
then:
start>internet options>connections>lan settings>
make sure the "auto detect" boxes are checked and then ok out. and then click on IE and wait for detection and then go on line.

Also the modems that you are seeing ;isted in device manager are/ should be Phone Modems. That is why you are seeing different numbers and types in your sister's and dad's computers than what you have in yours. Because each manufacture uses different phone modems for their computers.etc, etc, etc..

Now once you get online go back to internet options to the general tab and change the home page to your ISP or what ever you want. There are various ways to do this. Locate your ISP homepage URL and go there and search for "make this your home page" tab or something like that or in internet options change homepage to"about Blank" tab and type in the full url of the home page that you wish to be ...as http://www.whatever.com then hit apply and that will set your home page to that address. let me know how you are doing

Hi Lurkswithin. I noticed that also. When you type a url on this site it becomes a html link. Kinda neat.

trying it right now, i'll edit this post to let you know how it goes .If it works I'll mail you one GIANT cookie, and a virtual hug. I need this fixed today so I can work on my presentation all tommorow.

EDIT:

UPDATE: The automatically detect settings box was automatically checked off. The computer I'm using to type this does not have the automatically detect settings checked off. Any other ideas?

Last time I reformatted my hd the internet would also not work, and we sent it to a person to fix it. They said the problem was that the internet drivers were not installed or something like that. But if I'm using a ethernet aren't there not any drivers to install?

You can but it won't do any more than what I said to do. The pc that you are currently working on has a SET home page and thus the auto detect is unchecked so it will direct itself to that site. Like I said the main issue you have is whether your networking adapters are installed properly. If they are then you should be able to get right on line. Let me Know 1 way or other as you may have some networking issues to deal with.

Back
Top Bottom