Longhorn might kick Apple in the Tiger

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, no problem then. it was mainly for the people who call MS and co when they, themselves don't have a clue on MS's OS's either (In some cases, even Mac OS itself), yet they still wage an argument.

I was directing most of my posts to the people comming out with daft things like "Mac OS is the best ever! MS is rubbish" and such like. A bit like on the previous pages (or similar to). Sure Mac OS is a capable OS, and I agree, some of it is intreguing. But there is still a bit more that could be sorted out in it. My personal preference is still Windows though.

At the end of the day, there is no such thing as a perfect OS.

We really called that guy up... dished out some facts and he seems to have disappeared. LOL. Some people can't face the reality.

Yes there is no such thing as a perfect OS, as there is no such thing as a perfect human being. But I have to call people up when they call Windows XP/2000 crap and then boast about their Mac Copyright Violation Tiger operating system.

This was simply a discussion. I did not attack the person, I attacked awful things he posted.

technoman said:
my main problem is Mirosoft and Bill .... don't know if you no but i am a Windows user (god help me) and never have that much problems (because i know what i am doing) but i believe Apple make better OS ... is this the end of this thread?

Whats wrong with Microsoft and Gates? I wish people would a little more respect for the richest person in the world. He played big name companies (IBM) for fools when he was 20 or so.

Just a side note: Apple wouldn't exist if it wasn't for Anti-Trust.

I think Gates and CO have taken their eyes off of Apple and are focusing on Google. They can be a huge threat.

In Bill Gates' deffense, he's one of the most chairitable people alive. Now I understand he makes more money in a month then most people do in there life. But even for his income, so much of it he gives to chairity. Last year he donated 100,000,000 (thats 100 million, did i put the right number of zeroes?), towards funding for schools that did not have simple things like adequate computers as most schools do, and provided free operating systems for some schools too i beleive. Bill Gates does many chairitable things, and you never hear about them because he's not the kind of guy that calls up a media station and says, "Hey look at all the cool chairitable things i'm doing!"

And for the record, I prefer the Mac OS over Windows, except at home where alls i do is games.

i think that was 10 or 100, but the thing is he does these kind of things frequently, and when he donates he does it very generously.

Him and his wife own the richest charity in the world. Last I heard it was $27 billion (yes 27 billion dollars) in reserves. It's called the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation. (I think thats right)

This site is pretty neat. It's old though.

http://evan.quuxuum.org/bgnw.html

For all those that replied to my message about my comment on speed and stability. When you refer to the MacOS being unstable and slow, well if you refer to MacOS 9 and downto 7 then i would agree, they were unstable and slow, because they had got the state where they bloated. That was while Steve Jobs was not at Apple, so you can not go and blame Steve for it.

OS 7 was released in the early 90's, so it being black and white at the time was nothing major.

Apple did not steal UNIX. When Steve Jobs left Apple he set up a new company NeXT Computer. they started work on a new operating NeXTSTEP, which used the Mach Microkernel, which unless i'm mistaken is Open Source. They used this Kernel because it only has the commands in it that are actually used by an operating system, yea their may be some that are not in it that are used, but its no major let down, NO Operating System can be perfect. Anyway NeXTSTEP became highly regarded for research, and even the US Government bought a load, though I have no idea what they used it for. NeXTSTEP was fast to develop for though as the programming enviroment that used Objective-C had a lot of the stuff pre done, provided the system was already using, so all you need to do is fit it to you program. Eventually NeXTSTEP was made able to run on all the major platforms except Mac. Anyway Apple bought NeXT Computer/Software and Steve Jobs returned to Apple. NeXTSTEP then became the basis on which MacOSX was built. Nothing was added to it that was not needed, and only things that would make the users life easier was added. Cocoa is the underlying and framework to OS X and it provides you with everything you need. It gives you Strings, Buttons, Saving, Opening, Printing, Toolbars, TableViews, etc, all tied in to the Core System, to give the Mac a consistant look.

Its not difficult to switch between program Command + Tab to switch to another open program, and Command + ` to cycle through all the Applications windows. Or you could use Exposé if you have 10.3 plus.

The fact that there are not as many Games on the Mac is a weak argument. Most Mac Users are professionals, and then for those that are in to playing games, just need to know where to look. http://www.macgold.co.uk/ is a site that only does Mac Games. Yeah they come out slightly later, but so what? We get them once all those bugs have been fixed, or at least the major ones, and new stuff has been added. We also get a lot of shareware and freeware games. A fair amount of Windows users look only as far as the shop shelves when it comes to the Mac., so they never see what we actually have got.

If Apple is so crap and bordering on the edge of going under, then how can they be selling around 75,000 iPods and Month and be the leading brand name? I'm sorry but that just doesn't add up for me. Apple's Share Price is 37.24 and up or it was when i checked it, Microsoft is 25 and was down when i checked it.

But all this boils down to 1 thing every user has different needs. For some things Windows will cater for it better than the Mac, such as games. For other's such as Graphics Design, the Mac caters for better than windows. Fact of life, nothing is perfect. There are parts of the Mac that could be dropped and people would not miss them, and the same goes for windows.

I use both day in, day out, though I use Mac more. There are some things that windows does that my Mac won't, and there are things that my Mac can do that windows won't do. A sensible computer user, has both and takes advantage of the key features on both platforms. I'm willing to guess that half you looked at the MAc couldn't figure out how to use it within 5 minutes because its different, it was developed in a different way, and just dismissed it. The only people who can genuinely say the Mac is crap are those who use it a lot currently because they need to for what ever reason, otherwise your basing your opinions on old problems in the system. I have used windows almost every week for the past 6 years, and i have used the Mac almost everyday for the past 10 years. I know the advantages and disadvantages of both platforms, so i use both accordingly. Perhaps you should all try that at some point, and not just look at it for 5 minutes and dismiss it as crap and never use it, or i will start doing that with windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom