agp and pci express

adam71

Solid State Member
I tried to do a search but came up empty. I'm sort of on the market for a new "gaming" computer. (the one i have now only has old pci slots - not much for graphics). What I would like to know is which kind offers the best results for graphics processing.?? I'm sure there are trade offs but I'm still very confused on what to look for. Or is it a happy medium between the mother board and a good card.??

Confused :confused:

I've also noticed that interfaces are labeled like for example: 8X agp or 16x pci exp. What is that supposed to mean.??

well ... my mother supports 8x AGP therefore i can use 4x and 8 times AGP cards.

INFORMATION:
Accelerated Graphics Port. An interface specification from Intel that enables 3-D graphics to display quickly on personal computers. AGP is based on PCI, but is designed especially for the high throughput requirements of 3-D graphics. Rather than using the PCI bus for graphics data, AGP introduces a dedicated point-to-point channel so that the graphics controller can directly access main memory.

I personally think that PCI-E cards are more of a thing of the future. I would not get one yet, you have many more option when choosing an AGP card, and many AGP cards can handle even the most graphically intense games out there. Go AGP for now, thats my two cents.

mayorredbeard said:
I personally think that PCI-E cards are more of a thing of the future. I would not get one yet, you have many more option when choosing an AGP card, and many AGP cards can handle even the most graphically intense games out there. Go AGP for now, thats my two cents.

Same here, i am going to wait before i buy a PCI-E Card and motherboard because at the minute AGP is better.

technoman said:
Same here, i am going to wait before i buy a PCI-E Card and motherboard because at the minute AGP is better.

Hey thanx guys, lots of great info. I guess with most things, the first generation is usually not the best. Sort of like the first car cd players, nice idea but they skipped too damn much, now a days they hardly skip at all.

Ok, one more question though. So would a 8X graphics card be faster than a 4X card with all else being equal.??

there is not much real difference between them but i would look out for a 8x Card .... Are you 100% your motherboard supports 8x AGP if you are unsure post your make and model of the board.

No, I haven't bought a new computer yet. I'm asking you all these questions because I want to make sure I buy a computer with a mother board that will support the best agp card.

Back
Top Bottom