Help With Custom Pc

sensesfail

Baseband Member
Hi I am planning to build a custom PC for mainly gaming use. I have decided on the following parts...
120gb maxtor hard drive
1gb ddr ram
intel pentium 4 2.6ghz processor

but am unsure of what motherboard to buy. There are so many out there and don't have a clue at what im looking for. Can someone please adivse me on what motherboard to get? my budget is about £60 (GBP).
Also, I think I am going to go ahead and buy a geforce 6600GT 128mb AGP graphics card. Is this a good graphics card or can anyone recommend a better one (around £120 GBP) to use in conjunction with a motherboard i am advised to purchase.

Cheers

ok thanks for the advice. one other thing, would you say an AMD was generally better than a pentium for mainly gaming use? also just to let you know ive decided on the geforce 6600GT 128mb agp graphics card.

Cpu

Dude if you want to spend just a little bit more money I would recommend getting the P4 3.2gig Socket 748 512kb L2 cahce. It flys man! my specs are:

P4 3.2gig ht
200gig Maxtor had @ 7200rpm
ATI Radeon 9600 pro OC'd to hell
some sweet mods (optional)

I play Hl2 and CS:S on medium settings and a good resoultion and I awalys get 70+ FPS usually about 80, 100 in smaller areas... you can bring up the detail to high but that drops my fps to like 50 at max ususally about 35 and thats not how I like it but thats just me.

Also is you buy the P4 3.2 you shoul be good for a while.

i would say INTEL is better for gaming ... but i use an AMD processor because its cheaper !!!

amds are better for gaming and cheaper. theyre not as good at multitasking but thats ok. also they produce less heat.

Re: Cpu

dylanroscovich said:
Dude if you want to spend just a little bit more money I would recommend getting the P4 3.2gig Socket 748 512kb L2 cahce. It flys man! my specs are:

P4 3.2gig ht
200gig Maxtor had @ 7200rpm
ATI Radeon 9600 pro OC'd to hell
some sweet mods (optional)

I play Hl2 and CS:S on medium settings and a good resoultion and I awalys get 70+ FPS usually about 80, 100 in smaller areas... you can bring up the detail to high but that drops my fps to like 50 at max ususally about 35 and thats not how I like it but thats just me.

Also is you buy the P4 3.2 you shoul be good for a while.

not meaning to correct this poor lad but, socket 748 is incorect it's only a typo but still, the 478 socket is getting old and they no longer make cpu's for it, therefore you'll be limiting yourself. the LGA775 socket is what they're using now. also AMD athlon64's still beat some of intel's Dual Core cpu's :D . if your going intel make sure is a 775 socket mobo and for gaming go with a PCI-EX mobo. i noticed you said AGP 6600gt. those aren't as good as the 6600gt pci-ex ones you see in alot of tests. they dont OC high without artifacts and they arent very great. get the X800 or higher ATI if you want to stay AGP or get the 6800nu or higher if you want nVidia. if you go pci-ex you can get the 6600gt pci-ex which is a purely amazing card. i would say this stuff if you want a good gaming system.

AMD ATHLON64 3000+, Socket 939
neo 4 platinum single pci-ex or SLI
6600gt pci-ex
512mb (perferably 1gb but this will do) dual channel ram.
400w PSU or better

cheers for the advice but the problem i have is my budget. what sort of prices am i looking at for the pci-express motherboard and the graphics card you suggested?

thanks

Back
Top Bottom