Longhorn might kick Apple in the Tiger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Hancocks said:
Ugh Longhorn, i have seen it in action, and all i can say is yuck! 10.4 is by far superior.

How could of you? It isn't even pass beta version... nor is it complete. And you are speaking from a horribly formed opinion.

The 2% market share, I think you'll find is rising. With you all mostly being "Windoze" users i wouldn't expect you to have heard of this, but the iPod which is the most successful MP3 player in the World, is showing people just how good the quality of Apples hardware is, so some of them are starting to use Mac instead. Plus you got to bear in mind a hell of a lot of PC's do not have there own users, as they are shoved in all kinds of places to the basic tasks. (i have seen them in super markets to control the till) but mostly you'll find them in offices, because they are cheap and cheap to replace if something goes wrong with them.

How is it rising? How can it? What does a PC have to do with the Ipod? First off, Ipod is not a good MP3 in any sense of the word since it is only capable of 80 DB SNR, while the competitor, Creative Zen is capable of 98 DB SNR. You need ot understand what the facts are before you spew a lot of rhetoric. I see a lot of this in the political field. PCs are gaining more and more on the Mac. And the 2% market share is not RISING, IT IS DECLINING even further. That's really sad your facts are so skewed.

So I can officially say B.S.

Stability, I have had OS X since it came out, and i have only had 1 major crash that happened for no reason, and 3 which were caused by bugs in my programs i was developing, where as when i used Windows XP, it crashed 5 times in 1 hour, while trying to do a CPU intensive task. Hmm really stable. And before you say anything i do a lot of CPU instensive stuff on my Mac, Compiling, Movie Editing, Graphics Design, etc

Mac is famous for crashing on people. Mac fan boys as yourself continue to push your faulty engine. The Dual G5 is also defeated hands down by a single processor AMD 64. AMD 64 is superior in almost every sense. Crashed 5 times every hour? Well you were probably worse then my brother at it. How could you do that? Besides, that previous advantage Mac had in photoshop is now gone.

On my Mac, all i did was plug in the wireless card, boot my laptop, and the system recognized it, found the network, configured the card and connected it for me. Yea thats really difficult to do, oh my god the effort! Even when setting up a Ethernet based network, yea you need to fill out a few settings to configure it completly, but not loads around 3 fields of information.

On my PC... I had no problems what-so-ever. I don't even have to plug in a wireless card.. why? The ethernet is built into my motherboard. All I had to do is upload some drivers and it automatically found my connection. On a PC you can keep everything to automatic detect.

A new program in Tiger, called Automater allows regular home users to create simple programs with no code to automate really repetitive tasks. I'm not seeing anything like that on Windows or even planned. You can garuntee if M$ copy it, it will be a botched up job.

Tiger is a copyright violation. Apple will have to change the name because it violates US federal code because "Tiger" is already copyrighted by Tigerdirect.

But back to creating simple programs.. there are plenty of programs out there to create simple programs.. visual basic, C++, etc. Microsoft already did it. So please spare on that one.

Windoze also has a big problem with incositency. I have been working in 2 programs recently on windoze while doing some college work, in both programs the Text Areas behaved differently, controls looked different, toolbars behaved differently. Whats up with that? Microsoft too lazy to program in some standard controls to the system so that the developers can use them and have a consitent look?

How does it have a problem with "incosistency" (SIC). You are just a mac fan boy. In both programs the text areas behaved differently? What are you using? Some third party word processing? Personally if you would know what you were doing you would have a greater understanding. Avoid third party software, and stick to the standard. This isn't microsoft for goodness sakes.. it is other companies making software. Personally I think it is great the PC market is so diverse. We have selection, while you Mac fan boys have next to nothing.

That new authorisation (i think thats how you spell it) dialog in Longhorn, is prime example of the bad Windoze design. They don't even have the OK and Cancel buttons, instead they have a new control, Green arrow pointing to whitespace. WTF? Plus it does not explain why you are needing to type your password! It'll just popup when you least expect it.

I see nothing wrong with it. In fact I think Longhorn is excellent. You have just demonstrated to me you aren't really sure what you are talking about. Microsoft has the interface down. You keep trying to compare simple little superficial things too.. why don't we get to the core problem of the real instability in Mac OS? Whenever I try to use Mac systems at my university (they only exist in the Sierra Hall center.. because some idiot decided they would be good to have for students...).. the thing kept freezing.. then I went to another machine.. it froze. I was simply trying to surf the internet to get into my school email. These were G5s too.

Now i'm not testing windoze longhorn (what the hell kinda crappy name is that anyway? Windows Users Long for Longhorn. :p Or Redmond Start Your Copiers), nor would i even want to, but all my information is from reports and screen shots from M$. Now i know things may change in it as it goes through development.

Stop calling it windoze, you biased rude person. You are being disrespectful to other opinions around. You mac fan boys need to grow up and realize you aren't on the top of the world. We are the people. At least 98.6% of computer users. Start showing some respect. We don't need you telling us we should buy some overpriced junk.

The fact is Apple are the innovators.

Yep.. and the 2% market share shows that really well!

Apple were the first to suggest the idea of floppy drives inside a computer, when that happened everyone else where syaing you can't do that!

Uh actually, the older PCs were totally operating off floppy drives. My dad's old tandy ran off two floppy disks.. it didn't have a hard-drive. The tandy came out before the first Macs.

Apple was the first computer company to use something other than beige for computers, windows users all said that it looked hideous, now look, you hardly see beige computers anymore. The transparent plastic the iMac G3 used, is used in hundreds of products across the market. They dropped the floppy drive from computers, Windows users said how will people be able to live with out floppys? PC Vendors are now dropping internal floppy drives.

More superficial stuff.. besides I've seen the transparent cases. They are fugly. I didn't like the beige. But again I choose quality, over superficial nonsense. Besides, there are plenty of pretty cases out there for PC that have been avaliable for quite some time.

The fact that the Mac OS only runs on Macs may not be true for much longer, there is rumor that there is a version that can un on x86 machines.

Not going to happen. Has to do with arrogance in Apple's business itself. They would never do that.

Anyway, no matter how much you try and argue or pursuade a true Mac Fan to switch from Mac and downgrade to windoze, you'll never be able to do it.

I'm gonna downgrade tigerpoop all I can. I'll keep pushing my ideals and 98.6% marketshare idealism all I can. Thank you very much. If you want to get refuted, be prepared for it. :)

:D

All I'm saying on this issue is I have never found MacOS to be more stable than Windows. Windows 9x crashed like hell, MacOS # crashed like hell. Windows XP/2k is a crap load more stable than 9x, MacOS X is a crapload more stable than MacOS #. Beahballing however is highly annoyong and turns the term MiltiTasking into a joke for MacOS.

On my Mac, all i did was plug in the wireless card, boot my laptop, and the system recognized it, found the network, configured the card and connected it for me. Yea thats really difficult to do, oh my go....

Its the same for Windows. Plug it in it works. The problem starts with filesharing. In the 3 mounths I had my Mac I could never find files on it. Useless.

A new program in Tiger, called Automater allows regular home users to create simple programs with no code to automate really repetitive tasks.

This is another prime exaple of Apples patented "Rename" technologey. MacOS Panther had this feature, MacOS 7 had this feature. All they did was give it a new name.

indoze also has a big problem with incositency. I have been working in 2 programs recently on windoze while doing some college work, in both programs the Text Areas behaved differently, controls looked different, toolbars behaved differently. Whats up with that? Microsoft too lazy to program in some standard controls to the system so that the developers can use them and have a consitent look?

Premium grade bollox, Office 95 was prased for the fact all the apps had almost identical toolbars, except where they required to differ. At least Windows is user efficent, MacOS has horrible interface just to be diffrent, its pathetic.

The fact is Apple are the innovators.

I guess your greatest claim to this is the GUI? WIMP? Hate to break it to you buddy but Xerox invented it and Apple bought it. Jobs is a salesman and a good one it seems, would an inovator say "We make computers, computers have keyboards." Thats what Mr Jobs said about the Tablet PC, Considering MacOS has intigrated voice recoginition it seems rather short sighted that in 50 years time we're still going to be clinking our slow keyboards to get things done. What makes his statement even more blind is the fact half of the Tablet PC's had a full keyboard intigrated. Personly I think a PowerBook with a swiveling touch screen would look and be fantastic, but we wont see them now, not while that elitist stubborn mule is leading your Church.

Apple was the first computer company to use something other than beige for computers, windows users all said that it looked .... ppys? PC Vendors are now dropping internal floppy drives.

Isnt it amazing that the guy who had his zelots convinced that choice and style was inportant can then change and release only once color and still have people blindly follow. As for floppies its more to do with market controll than inovation. Apple can cut the floppy out immedatly because Mac users dont have a choice. If a PC company cut it out at the same time they woudl have lost sales, its only since the boom of digital devices brought the price of flash down that it can really be phased out, The iMac wasnt even well suited to the UK market as there was no free internet access at the time, so an iMac user woudl have been rather alenated in terms of file transfer.

The fact that the Mac OS only runs on Macs may not be true for much longer, there is rumor that there is a version that can un on x86 machines.

As Gain has said this will never happen, if you coudl run MacOS better on a £200 PC would you run out and buy a £750 Mac? Me nether.

Anyway, no matter how much you try and argue or pursuade a true Mac Fan to switch from Mac and downgrade to windoze, you'll never be able to do it.

Thats because your all deluded fanboys. The only Mac I own now is a Pizza box 6100/66, because the guy that had it decided PC's were better for designing his product boxes.

I hate Mac. It's slow and unwieldy.

The big lame graphics make it Baby's First Operating System, designed for the under-5's and complete retards.

It has no performance advantages over Windows, and I've used both. Windows gets the job done really fast (especially 2000 - better that XP in many ways imho), and is really professional, OSX is just a GUI (versions before it were absolutely horrible to look at, OS7 was in black-and-white, no joke), and there's bugger all software available for it that's worth talking about. And it's slow. And just as expensive, if not more.

Recent games take about another year of development after the PC release to get ported, and by that time the Mac is so unbelievably out of date that it won't run. And Apple charge you stupid amounts of money to upgrade, because all the internal components are proprietary and have to fit inside the stupid "designer" case that looks like either a table-lamp or a breadbin. Old Macs were ugly, the new ones just look stupid.

And, why oh why, do Macs have to have badly shaped mice with one button? That original iMac mouse was a joke, I was in physical pain after using it because it was so badly shaped. Why hold down a button on the keyboard and click when you can just right-click?

Oh, and Windows loads from HDD when you turn your computer on. MacOS partially reinstalls itself. And there is no BIOS access on a Mac, AFAIK, all machines have the same lame bootup sequence with that stupid smiley face.

And why is there no taskbar? When you run a program, it takes over the top of your screen with its own menu bar. This makes you get very lost very quickly, and it's near impossible to switch between different windows.

I've never crashed Win2K, and XP only a few times. But Mac crashes way more, did you know OSX was the first version to have protected memory? MS put that in in Windows 95, by the way, so your entire system didn't go down like a line of dominoes when one program went wrong.

At least Windows is original, and not stolen from UNIX like MacOS is.

I'm sticking to Windows, thank you very much. And Linux for certain things, but there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to use a Mac.

Why pay extra for total junk?

LOL, Gaincarlo and Delta have already said all that I was going to. Good going guys. Seriously though, the thing about the lack of inconsistency throughout WinXP and Longhorn (LMAO, how can you compare the beta right now when its still over a year away, remember the WinXP betas? Wops, sorry, I forgot, ur a mac fan boy). Most programs compiled for Windows uses the OS's API's and the OS's default GUI, so how can you say that. Point - Have you seen how ITunes on the PC rapes the GUI? Any inconsistancy due to the GUI, as Gaincarlo said, is all due to bad programmers, i.e. The aformentioned ITunes for Windows. Apple still hasn't got (for the 3rd time being said) API's standards out yet for 3D graphics on hardware.

The main reason why mac programs suck so much is the API's are either incomplete or they change all the time. This is a huge problem for Mac developers, hence theres hardly any games out for it (If they could even cope with games, Hm, Halo)

Another thing, you claim that buisnesses use "Windoze" (WOW! what a joke, I couldn't help but laugh! jackass!) and hence thats the reason why they have such a huge market share. Guess what mate! theres a reason for it! cause they are stable, they have the performance, they have more tools widely availible to write there own programs, they get more frequent updates (Which happen to be FREE!) and not to mention almost every program out there runs on it! The same goes for the servers. The Mac servers can nowhere near perform like a PC alternative for the same price.

And the G5 garbish about it being the fastest ever computer, ROTFLMAO!! they got that advertisement band in the UK - Because indepentant benchmarks prove otherwise. They even went as far as disabling HT in the P4 CPU's (which would have improved the speed during video encoding) and loading them with a lot less memory than the G5's during their own benchmarks. Does this not tell you something?? Apple are crooks! God, I think you have a bad case of PVR syndrome.

Away you go, you have been overpowered (I think I'll start using this, sometimes quite affective - Gain) and proved wrong. get some proper facts. Take this post the same as Deltas' and Gaincarlos'.

APPLE STORE said:
$1,499.00

Estimated Ship: Same business day

Free Shipping

1.8GHz PowerPC G5
600MHz frontside bus

512K L2 cache
256MB DDR400 SDRAM
Expandable to 4GB SDRAM
80GB Serial ATA
8x SuperDrive
Three PCI Slots
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
64MB DDR video memory
56K internal modem

LOL, look at the price, look at the specs. Thats not even including a monitor. Who are they kidding?

Anyway, I have came back.

Lets stop the argument now. We have more or less all put or arguments accross for the Mac OS and for Windows.

Back to the point.

get a life, Stop sticking up for Microsoft Tom is correct, thanks Tom

Lets just wait and see what is going to happen

A new program in Tiger, called Automater allows regular home users to create simple programs with no code to automate really repetitive tasks. I'm not seeing anything like that on Windows or even planned. You can garuntee if M$ copy it, it will be a botched up job.

Ummmmm. Macros. I don't even know how long those have been around. They are designed for doing repititive tasks.

That G5 is rocking with it's SDRAM. Probaly would cost $2,000 for DDR.

Starr said:
Ummmmm. Macros. I don't even know how long those have been around. They are designed for doing repititive tasks.

That G5 is rocking with it's SDRAM. Probaly would cost $2,000 for DDR.

if you want quality you have to pay for it i am afraid

At least Windows is original, and not stolen from UNIX like MacOS is.

Its based on Unix, not "stolen". And why not? Its easyer to base it on a good base than make a new one from scratch. Out of all, at least they managed to make a semi decent consumer OS out of it, Linux sucks on the desktop. If I coudl have ran the KDE GUI on top of MacOS. I'd have kept the iBook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom