Can`t log into XP

Luc!fer

Beta member
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me.

I have recently bought a 2nd hand laptop with Windows XP.

When I boot it up, it takes me to the user name screen, and has just one option, "User1", and it asks me for a password.

However, I don`t know the password and there is no way of contacting the previous owner. I have tried Safe mode, but the administator log-in also asks for a password.

Is there any way of accessing XP to set up a new profile?

Thanks!

Yeah, as long as you were given the Windows XP CD rom, you should just be able to put it in and boot from it when the computer starts, re-installing windows over the previous installation.

Because you haven't been abele to get on it, you shouldn't have to back up anything of course, because the installer will format the drive

Luc!fer said:
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me.

I have recently bought a 2nd hand laptop with Windows XP.

When I boot it up, it takes me to the user name screen, and has just one option, "User1", and it asks me for a password.

However, I don`t know the password and there is no way of contacting the previous owner. I have tried Safe mode, but the administator log-in also asks for a password.

Is there any way of accessing XP to set up a new profile?

Thanks!
That computer was protected by a password setup, so the only way to get around this without re-installing windows is this:

You will have to flash the cmos, and her's how to do it.

1) of all have the power cord to the comp. un-plugged
*very important*

2) take the cover off your computer, next look inside next to where the RAM sits. Next to that you will see a little flat battery about the size of a nickle. Take out that battery and leave out for about 5 minutes.

3) then put battery back in, make shure it's not upside down. you will see the little + sign ontop of it.

4) That's it !! Now plug back in the power cord and bootup, it should go staight into windows.

well, actually, i dont think that would work if he has a raid configuration on the computer

uhm, for me when I boot up my computer in safe mode when running XP it doesn't ask me for a password. That's probably a simpler solution. And I beleive you can create accounts while in safe mode.

Back
Top Bottom