history of computers

well babbage had a plan 4 a computer in the 1800s. i dont think it was built 4 a while. depends on wat u mean by computer. the abacus was basically the first computer. then came the greek counting tablet. then the pascaline then the analytical engine then the ENIAC then UNIVAC then our pcs of today.

The term compter started around the 1920's I beleive where people would sit around and do complicated math problems.

I think the first computer took up an entire room and was capable of doing math calculations that a pocket calculator can do

j Rizzo said:
I think the first computer took up an entire room and was capable of doing math calculations that a pocket calculator can do

THat's called ENIAC :p I beleive it took up 3 football feilds if I remember right... Now there were computers before that, but that was the(or one of the) first real electral ones that works similar to ours. ONly real difference is that it used vaccume tubes rather than trasistors.

Yes, and they could only be used for a couple of minutes or so because the vaccums would break. And they overheated terriably. The first personal computer was the Altair. It ran BASIC which was programmed by Bill Gates and Paul Allen.

isnt it crazy how far we've gotten? to the point where global coomincation is instant and computers are a part of daily? i bet no one forsaw that when the first comp was built, taking the size of a room! now labtops nowadays could pwn eniac thats 20 times smaller! geez... i wonder what its like in 20 years....

actually, the first computer was the size of a large living room, it containd (not sure about any of it)2megs of ram, it had very small processer, about the power of a pocket calculater, adn it could only process math problems like 2+2, and it could not do anything nore complicated then a multiplication problem, but, the actually first electronic machine, was a woden box, that consisted of 6 lightes, and when the pressed a butten the light turned on, and then they were concidered "hackers"

If you think about it. How cool would it be to be Bill Gates. Forget the money though. He has seen it all. He has seen the computer evolve from the room size computers to pocket PCs. And he is the pioneer. He has seen everything. He is one lucky guy......

Back
Top Bottom