Longhorn might kick Apple in the Tiger

Status
Not open for further replies.

solitary110

Baseband Member
Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger was enthusiastically received by Apple fans and the international media.

From appraisals like “the most advanced operating system from all times” to “go and buy now a copy of Mac OS X because it's the best you can get” everybody is praising the new operating system.

All the reviews written for this operating system are full of comparisons with Longhorn. By the way, did you ever read one that didn't mention and compare Apple's Spotlight, Automator and Dashboard to what Longhorn might offer?

But Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger fans should be worried that momentarily they know little of what Longhorn will be able to do. And secondly, until Longhorn's release there are 18 months.

This period is considered as a handicap for Microsoft, but the giant from Redmond has proven many times since its founding that it knows to innovate. So, Longhorn might offer more than what Microsoft's officials are willing to declare.

Microsoft is too experienced in operating systems not to use this time to come up with a better and more interesting alternative to what Mac OS X 10.4 is offering right now. And where will Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger be 18 months from now? Will Apple be able to keep up with our demands 18 months from now?

Yes, it's true Apple scored a victory against Microsoft, but let's not forget Mac OS X defeated an invisible adversary. How will the fight between a complete Longhorn and an 18 months older Mac OS X look like?

lol, i don't think Microsoft will beat Apple on this! I have used Tiger and Apple have done an excellent job i will give them that. Wasn't Windows XP meant to be excellent and was it?

I will be waiting to see what happeneds :)

How did Apple score a victory? It hardly has any of the market share, and the OS X 10.4 doesn't work on PC based machines. So no victory really.

I haven't used Tiger yet, but I think it should be good and it would be nice to see Apple sell a few units.

technoman said:
lol, i don't think Microsoft will beat Apple on this! I have used Tiger and Apple have done an excellent job i will give them that. Wasn't Windows XP meant to be excellent and was it?

but isn't every new operating system supposed to be excellent and better than anything else?

Welcome to marketing.

Tiger may be great to use, but by simply releasing it apple have made the challenge easier for microsoft (note; i'm not saying longhorn will be any better) because they have the advantage of openly viewing and using what they are up agianst

LOL, I fully agree with Gaincarlo.

Tell me how exactly OS X bet WinXP? Points please.

I'll give you a few. I haven't used OS X Extensively, but when I did, It was a pain in the arse!

1) To close a program, you have to go up to that daft toolbar and click on menu items to close it - what happened to Apples "One click action" thingy??

2) Networking - Dont get me started

3) I wanted to use my bluetooth adapter - I got fed up trying to get it working.

Also, I use my PC every day and have not had a crash in well over a month (On Win2K and XP boxes). MacOS X crashed twice in a weekend. Once in DVD playback and the other when I was simply browsing files.

Oh, and SP1 and SP2 are free of charge along with all the other MS updates. I don't see Apple giving out an OS X.3 or .4 update disk to OS X users withing 4 years use.

Mac users always say how easy Mac OS is to use and how "Plug'n'Play" it is with hardware and networking. Give me a break, you can simply not beat WinXP on this.

£60 for OEM WinXP, or the £100+ for OS X plus the premium for the hardware.

Another point, MS OS's are far technologically advanced in some circumstaces. Woopy Do Bazel, OS X may be a fully multi-user OS (due to Unix Kernal), but please, who is going to use a Mac with two users simultaneously logged on? The only other advantage, that WinXP seems to posses to, is to keep user profiles completely seperate from each other.

I could go on for days, but I'll not.

P.S. Seems like Tiger still is not fully 64Bit, and still does not implement fully "furnished" API's for the graphic hardware properly for it's GUI & other applications. OpenGL is old news. (Hint, the 3D API's is probably reason why not many games or 3D intesive programs are availible for the Mac)

Is Mac OS a match for Win9x, Yip, no problem, but for 2K and XP, noway. It's funny how Mac fanboys always compare to the 10 year old Windows 95 and co but brush off WinXP.

A fact for the rest of the Mac fans, and any others who care, the Mac was not the first OS to implement a WIMP based GUI as many are led to believe. This was 1st implemented by Xerox's software department in the '70's but they never released it due to the law not allowing computer programming code to be patented nor copyrighted. Once the law was change, Apple took advantage straight away!

Loghorn all the way.................................

Thanks for the back-up... what about XP 64-bit? I thought that Microsoft was gonna release a Windows XP that was 64-bit before Long Horn.

I just don't see how OS X Tiger (copyright violation) is a success because the mainstream PC User can't use it, since it is limited to Mac.

I too have tested out OS X. It isn't very stable. I operate Windows 2000 Professional on my computer. Very incredibly stable operating system. It is also more useful then OS X.

Giancarlo said:
Thanks for the back-up... what about XP 64-bit? I thought that Microsoft was gonna release a Windows XP that was 64-bit before Long Horn.

I just don't see how OS X Tiger (copyright violation) is a success because the mainstream PC User can't use it, since it is limited to Mac.

Actually I think that last week or so Microsoft showed it off in Florida or somewhere. The only problem is that anti-spyware programs aren't 64-bit so they don't work or something like that. I'm kind of shady on the details. Yea, Microsoft will crush them. The only reason Mac exists is because of Anti-trust Laws.

Yes, Xerox originally owned GUI. Then Apple hired some Xerox programmers to write a GUI for them. Then Microsoft was writing software for Apple at that time (Excel and stuff) and they got a peak. So they decided to hire some Xerox and Apple programmers. Then Microsft out foxed Apple.

lol, like your sig star. but what about hex? 11 people in the world! hehe :p

I heard also that WinXP 64bit was out. I'm gonna do a few checks on software vendors. From what I remember, Windows XP Professional has been released. Dunno if it is publicly availible for OEM whitebox builders or not. They will probably limit it to a limited amount of companies just like what happened when Windows MCE 2005 was 1st released.

That makes me think, why doesn't Apple release a similar Multi-media OS? I think they would be more successful at that than their desktop OS - just like the Ipod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom