XP Firewall

Northern Yankee

Solid State Member
I am relatively new to XP (several weeks). I was wondering about the XP firewall. Is it reliable, or should I try another? I had the free Outpost one with my old IBM 98SE computer .

Windows XP firewall is just there. I have gotten over 20k that zonealarm free firewall has picked up that XP firewall missed.

I beg to differ. WinXP firewall does a tremendous job. It just never rapes your face when it picks up a simple scan of your ports. It does the job, just like zone alarm, but keeps out your road. One point though. After installing SP2, remember and intall the update for the firewall as it has a bug that doesn't firewall Dial-up connections, even though is says it does.

connchri said:

lol. nice one. some newbie comes in and is like... wtf? intall? jk. we do it all the time... but as for xp firewall i say its pretty good.. but will never be like the pay programs... the best being pc-cillin's antivirus and firewall and all that. its a really great program... with norton and mcaffe following closely behind... but for the free yeah, xp firewall isnt too bad at all.

lol, I canny be bothered sorting it. Read intall as install my newbie friend.

At the end of the day, WinXP firewall does the job. It may not be as configurable or have as many features as others, but what extra do you really need?

Thanks, especially for the speeling mistkae :p

Yeah, trust me when I say that the Windows XP firewall even though it seems safe, I'm sure itsn't as safe as other free alternatives to protect yourself.

Get hold of Zone Alarm like Technoman says. It's easy to set up, and only needs updates once every month or so, which you just run and it'll ugrade.

The program controls are also rather easy to get used to, just pressing Allow, Or Block for connections of programs when it asks. You can then manually set these up in the options of the program. It is definitley a great program and should be tried :)

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp

Hope this helps

Just a quick question, why do you think that the MS firewall is not as good as zone alarm? It just sits hidden more.

Just wanting to know your views on it.

I don't think it can protect you as much as firewall can. The fact that it can keep quiet it a bad sign in my eyes. Whats it allowing, and disallowing?

Zone Alarm just keeps you more in charge of whats going on, and you know whats being blocked, getting in/out. I also wouldn't trust Microsoft to have a free firewall really. I expect it just to be functional enough to block some hackers, as a well being type tool.

Back
Top Bottom