Move a hard drive

alpine1

Beta member
ok today i went to my friends house to get his hard drive to get formated i took it home formated it and installed a fresh copy of windows on it. i finally gave him back his hard drive for him to put back in his pc but now he is asying that he can no longer use his pc he says when i turn it on it shows start windows in safe mod normal mode etc
how can i make his hard drive work again?
is this a bios related problem?

here are the specs of each of our pc's not sure if it will help
--------------
my specs
--------------
asus mother board
p4 2.8 ghz
512 ram
geforce fx 52000

-------------
friend specs
-------------
ipex motherboard
p4 1.9
256 ram
on board graphics

i dunno what is the problem.

also

when he selects
start winows normaly
in safe mode etc. the computer just restarts is this a big problem or can this be fixed because i think he got the cables all mixed up.

Oops...

You installed xp on your system and moved it back to his. Xp does not reconize where it is any longer. Xp must be installed on the system it's going to used on. Any other way and it balks, big time.

but...

no what i did was i selected his hard drive to install windows. after i installed windows i took my hard drive out and then i tested it and it worked fine. so why wont it work on his computer?
could there be a mix up with the cables?

you have to instal WinXP with the hardware you are going to use therefor you have to format and install Windows XP on his computer!

When you bootup from the windows cd, it will automatically format the hhd for you when you do a fresh install or restore from the cd options.

All that was said before is correct, you must have the hhd in the comp. XP is going to run on. This is because it takes an inventory of the hardware it's going to use for it, and configures it into the install.

Back
Top Bottom