XP home network not working! help please!

bonez1

Beta member
hi i wondered if you kind peeps on here can help with a wee problem i have got
right got a laptop and normal pc and connected them together with a network cable now the thing is this
the PC can access the laptops files etc but try it the other way around i.e try to access PC from laptop i get access denied! cant figer it out nothing seems to work!

i have tryied IP addys, sercurity settings everything i know! and still no joy!
i have noticed one thing tho on the icon on screen it has a padlock on the network connection!
lock.bmp

pic not the best but you can just see it!
any help would be great thanks

ade

Are both machines XP? Normally XP does it pretty easily, but I hate XP, removed actually, keeping 2K.

dont worry about the subnet, most of the time you dont need it when doing a simple home network.

Well...

Turn on the printer and file sharing on both machines. Then go to each drive and activate sharing.

Re: Well...

setishock said:
Turn on the printer and file sharing on both machines. Then go to each drive and activate sharing.

yep i done all that still dont want to work!

you did buy a cross over cable?

Run the network wizard from your desktop making sure the cable is plugged in.

SUBNET = A portion of a network, which may be a physically independent network, which shares a network address with other portions of the network and is distinguished by a subnet number. A subnet is to a network what a network is to an internet.

Back
Top Bottom