Am I Being Hacked??

BigGrim79

Beta member
For the better part of the last month my bandwidth has been shocking and I can see its due to the fact I am uploading way more than I am downloading and I have NO P2P software installed, I have PC cillin Firewall and virus protection installed and have even gone so far as to reformat my system drive. I have run adaware, spybot window washer and my virus scanner and cannot find a thing. I am on 512 download with 128 uploads on ADSL and I am lucky to be downloading 20kbs a second and thats about the max I get. Is there anyway to know what is going on? Am I being hacked? I have been told a router with a built in firewall would help. At the moment I only have an adsl modem. Its frustrating because I am not getting what I am paying for. HELP ME!!!!

are u on a local area network (LAN)? Other computers on ur network uploading is very possible.

As technoman mentioned, check if it's ur programs are updating at the same time.

Since you apparently know that you are uploading a lot of bandwidth, is this uploading occuring or reoccuring constantly?

Thanks for the reply, from what I can gather the only program that seems to be updating on a regular basis is PC cillin. The moment I try to download something from the web if I open up my connection the information I am sending is going just as fast as the information I am receiving. I am not on a LAN either this is just my home PC and the only one. The uploading is also constant it is almost the same as my downloads or just more than my downloads.

have your main virus scanner and your main spyware scanner update auto and nothing else then when you want to update other programs update them by your self.

if you're on xp, hit ctrl alt delete click the processes tab and you can google all of em and see which ones you need and don't. then click start run and type in msconfig
unselect all the things you DON'T want at startup.

Any Windows NT/2k based one yes, Windows 9x does not display processes in task manager. :)

Back
Top Bottom