Replacing Laptop ram... help needed

Max25591

Baseband Member
Hi,
My Presario 900 256 ram has busted and now only reads 240. It has made a crazy slow down of the system (far more than youd expect). I did a full format and still very slow so i know its the ram.
Want to install a 512 stick... but i need to know if its worth getting a pro to do it or if its something i can do myself (avoiding the costs) at home.

Any advice would be much appreciated,

Max

I bet you anything it's using 16M for video. As for being slow, probably just too much running in the background and all. I can do a good bit on my lappy with only 256M RAM.

If you really want to upgrade, just do a little research and find what type of RAM it uses, then just search around newegg or some place for the RAM.

As for getting Pro, I'm not sure what you're talking about...

It is laptop ram though remember? It might not even be capable to upgrade by just buying sticks :p I don't think they use standard RAM, and I've never tried opening a laptop before...
Most laptops are impossible to upgrade, especially old models. It's only now they are able to, like changing the vid card, etc

As for the RAM losing 16mb...this is weird and it might be going a bit pair shaped, thoguh you'd expect more problems. Could it be possible The_other_one, that one chip on the RAM module has blown and still work?

If not that then somethnig else odd as happened, and since you have done a reformat and things and still get the problems I would suspect it being the RAM...yet it could also be the hard drive possibly, yet don't think this would cause the loss of RAM so thats why I think it is the RAM...

Did it read 256mb to start with?

Most laptops today use a small...block of ram? Hehe, not sure what it's called but just a little stick around half the size, or less, of standard sticks.

I do beleive there's a bit of a standard out there for laptop ram, but it is more expensive...

Back
Top Bottom