Suspend as Hibernation

The_Other_One

Daemon Poster
I'd yet to try and put my new compy to sleep so I pressed the button on my keyboard. I got the thing about it going to susped and all, then it shut down... Everything cut off, no power light, no fans, etc. I figured it was a fluke, so I just cut it back on to be sure all was well.

For some reason, the fan alarm started going off for a few seconds(rather common when it first comes on, but it was going a tad bit longer than normal) Then, to my suprise, the log in screen popped up.

Is this common today? Computers basically shutting down for susped? I mean not even my laptop does this well!

Yeah, it basically looks like it has shut down. It turnsd off the hard drives, monitor, and the CPU probably stops responding too, hence why the fan stops or goes really slowly so can't be heard.

Pressing a button then just boots it up like it has been on Sleep, and my dads laptop does that. It shows a bit of the bios and then loads windows really fast, coming up with the log on screen, so don't worry. Its normal :p
and since the memory must have still been a bit active, and the CPU must be slightly, the fan just had to power up, and because when you run Bios, the CPU is only just starting to warm up. Since it was already running tasks in the backgorund, it probably heats up faster than if you just switch it on, and so thats probably why you got the longer beeps...

I wouldn't suggest keeping a CPU fan though that takes that long to power up. My stock fan powers up straight away to full rev... What fan have you got?

Hehe, not so worried, just thought it was cooool ;) I'd never seen a computer that did like this without having to load all grades of stuff(ya know, backup of the RAM for hibernation)

Part of the bios might show, as with most monitors, mine has a bit of lag when it first comes on. *shrugs* No complaints though. Hehe, I might be doing this more often. Shaves about a minute off the boot time ;)

Yeah I like that.... hey...I aint tried it on mine :p

*will try it in a mintute...though I don't have a sleep button :( and the shutdown menu only has Standby... maybe this means mine doesn't support it...*

Anyhow I do like that :p Yeah, my monitor has a bit of lag too because its been on standby and has to power up again... maybe LCD screens show it quicker and thats why you can see it on my Dads laptop.

I don't exactly know how Sleep works, but it must in someway still be running surely?

I have an LCD on this system. It's a good bit faster than my old LCD, but still not the fastest. Hehe, not as fast as this OLD CRT I have ;)

Anyway, yeah, it's probably still on. USB devices are still powered(though they are when it's "off" I beleive there's a header for a sleep light, perhaps I should connect one sometime to just see how it works...

Yeah :p just incase you power down the computer by plugging the plug thinking its off and then go...doh!

Hehe, I guess I should unplug it sometime and see what happens :p

I just tried it again and I get the windows beep almost as soon as I press the power button. I really like this :D

Back
Top Bottom