Not Seeing All the RAM

I made sure that I flashed the BIOS with the correct update as I had been warned of the problems that could occur if not.

I tried resetting the BIOS defaults within the BIOS, but have yet to try resetting from the MoBo. Unfortunately PC is currently at home so will only be able to try when I leave the office. Where on the MoBo is the memory CMOS jumper normally (or what does it look like)?

With regards the memory it is weird. I swapped all the sticks around yet it made absolutely no difference.

Your motherboard might not have any but new ones should. This is an example of what one should look like:

http://www.dansdata.com/images/133aboards/cmos180.jpg

http://www.ocprices.com/ben/NF7S/jumper.jpg - A better example

This is all you have to worry about in that case if you know it was the right one. It will need just resetting :)

In terms of position, it depends but it could be near the battery, or a bit below the battery.

Usually if the jumper is set to position 1, you'd set it to position 3 to reset it, and then after a bit, place it back to 1. This is how ABIT boards work.

Taking out the battery is another option, but will take a while to work, whereas the jumper does it almost straight away by directing power somewhere else.

Post when you do it if it works :)

Right. Reset the CMOS by shorting the Jumper, but it did no good as it still could not see the HDD's. So I re-flashed the BIOS with the original one that I had backed up and it all works hunky dory once again.

I finally found a manual (which does not have the schematics for the board lay-out mind you - so finding all the jumpers and stuff proved to be quite a hassle).

The Board apparently supports memory as follows:
Supports 8 memory banks using 3 168-pin unbuffered DIMM sockets
Supports a maximum memory size of 384MB (8Mx8) or 768MB (16Mx4) regitered DIMM only.
Supports ECC (1-bit error code correct) and EC (multiple-bit error checking) function.
Supports 3.3v/5v PCI Bus interface

What does the above mean?

RVFmal said:
Right. Reset the CMOS by shorting the Jumper, but it did no good as it still could not see the HDD's. So I re-flashed the BIOS with the original one that I had backed up and it all works hunky dory once again.

I finally found a manual (which does not have the schematics for the board lay-out mind you - so finding all the jumpers and stuff proved to be quite a hassle).

The Board apparently supports memory as follows:
Supports 8 memory banks using 3 168-pin unbuffered DIMM sockets
Supports a maximum memory size of 384MB (8Mx8) or 768MB (16Mx4) regitered DIMM only.
Supports ECC (1-bit error code correct) and EC (multiple-bit error checking) function.
Supports 3.3v/5v PCI Bus interface

What does the above mean?

Right, the bit we're interested in here is
"maximum memory size of 384MB (8Mx8) or 768MB (16Mx4) regitered DIMM only."

The 8Mx8 and 16Mx4 refer to the desity of the modules. I re-read through the thread and have noticed that you now say the 256MB modules are single sided. Therefor my previous post stands. The modules are too dense for the motherboard. Try finding double sided 256MB modules and use them instead. They must still use 16 chips though, and not 8.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Chris. Will try and get my hands on 2 double sided modules and advise if it works or not.

That link pretty much summed everything up.

Back
Top Bottom