Defragmentation

Yea I defragged today because for some odd reason my computer wasn't running any programs but the hard drive was going crazy!

malakian88 said:
I have heard that it lessens the life of your harddrive... I would guess that its all the work that defragmenting does, a lot of stress on the drive.... am I right?

I defrag every two weeks or so... My harddrive gets fragmented pretty quickly though... not sure why...

I doubt that it would lessen the life of your hard drive. Anyway, with all the new technology that are coming out so fast, most people upgrade their computers every 2 years.

Ok, I just defrag last night. What a difference it made in performance. Windows popped up really fast. I've been noticing a trend that my hard drive need to be defragged at least once every 2-3 weeks. I ran the analyzer button and it said that the volume need to be defragmented.

Also, we're getting a new hybrid hard drive in 2006 did you guys here? Samsung and Microsoft join partnership to create a new kind of hard drive that uses a 1GB OneNAND flash chip inside it, which will serve as a write buffer and as a solid-state boot disk for Windows.

The process is like this: The act of writing data to the hard disk, such as user files or cached images while web browsing, would instead be intercepted by the hard disk. Only when the flash memory's "write buffer" was full would the hard disk be spun up, minimizing the time and power that would be spent keeping the drive's rotating media spinning.

Wow, that new HD sounds super cool. Yeah I definately notice a difference on computers that have not been defragged in a while and then I defrag them. I have mine set up running automatically in the backround so I don't have to try and remember to defrag.

can you continue to use your comptuer while it defrags? because i thought you couldnt and therefore mine gets defragged about once a year while im sleeping and only one time being run i dont run it again to compact even tighter

yeah I have mine running in the backround and notice no performance issues. I remember the windows defragger lagging your sytem a bit while trying to do other things while running it

ecky1021 said:
yeah I have mine running in the backround and notice no performance issues. I remember the windows defragger lagging your sytem a bit while trying to do other things while running it

Yeah, tell me about it. I experienced serious lag and major slowdown in whatever I was doing during the process. I just do it late night when I am done with everything, then let Windows do it's job on degramenting the hard drive while I sleep. So your defragger does the job in the background? I too, am curious what you are using.

money_man said:
can you continue to use your comptuer while it defrags? because i thought you couldnt and therefore mine gets defragged about once a year while im sleeping and only one time being run i dont run it again to compact even tighter

Even with the built-in defrag program, you can continue what you're doing but your computer will be very slow. A third party defrag program runs a lot faster and you won't even see a degradation when they're running.

Back
Top Bottom