Is Learning Python Necessary......

Starr

Daemon Poster
Is learning Python as a first language really that necessary. I started asking people where to start to learn how to program. Everyone said to learn Python then C then finally C++. Well of course I ignored them and started teaching myself C++ without any experience with any of these. I'm doing very well I don't feel confused at all like most people suggested that I would. I even wrote a sweet program that does metric conversions.

So my good friends at Computer Forums (this is my first day on the forums.....) is learning Python really necessary?

Nope, I've never seen a line of it and I have exprence in C++, Delphi, Visual Basic and a few others.

i learned programming languages in the following order:

c++ -> basic -> asm -> c -> lisp/scheme -> java -> python

i've learned a few others which i've never used in practice (i.e. brainfuck, visual basic)

I have no experience with C++ or Python, but I do have experience with C. So I guess it's best to start where you feel comfortable.

No i don't think learning pyton is necessary, I'm another on who knows several languages and not one of them is python.

I've always found it best to learn like this...

you get an book or tutorial, learn some basics, (like a hello world etc), then you get an idea and create your idea learning on the way, the only problem with this mothod is you tend to not learn things that are not immediatly usefull to whatever it is you are making.

I learned Python early on. I use it when I need to make quick programs to test something...or when im bored. Its a good basic language to learn. If you have some experience with Scripting Langauges (i.e. JavaScript, VBScript, etc.) Then I would recomend it. You can do a ton of things with Python with short code/coding time. Overall I think Python is a great language to learn.

Python gives me the feeling of C. Many of the built in functions act the same as the C equivalent. Some, however, act way different then in C. Its really a matter of personal preference. Just whatever language you feel comfortable with.

~ROSEBLOOD

Ultimately with python you will need to learn c if you want to extend it. python also allows some functional programming which is nice. i suppose they are trying to give a little of each of the major paradigms.

Back
Top Bottom