could the dvd writer be broken?

newbie1

BSOD
If my dvd burner wont burn or recognize dvds, but still burns and recognizes cds, could just the dvd component be broken?

I never heard that happening before. If you tried everything you can think of, just delete it from Device Manager and remove all the software you used to install it. It is obvious it can't be a jumper problem because you are successful at burning and reading CDs. I'm assuming you have it set to Secondary Master? Reboot the computer after deleting everything. Let Windows detect it and it will automatically load drivers for it. Then install the CD that came with the burner. There should be additional drivers and application software that are needed to run the burner properly.

Or could it be the DVD disc itself it's having a hard time reading? Try a different brand of DVD disc to see what happens.

newbie this is your fourth thread about the almost exact same thing. Just post on the same thread. You can ask more than one question per thread. Try what TRDCorolla said and if that doesn't work replace it if you have a warrenty still on it, and if you don't try another DVD burner.

Um is there a site with specific instructions as how to delete and reinstall? The dvd burner already came installed, all we tried to do after trouble shooting was to disconnect, then reboot and reconnect. as far as I know, i dont have driver installation software for a dvd specifically, just a "driver and utilities cd for via/amd chipset mainboard", "certified data windows xp home with sp2 recovery cd" I also tried to set my computer back to before I had the problem, but It still would not read nor burn dvds!

So you must have gotten your computer from a retailer? If it's still under warranty, I would do what Dishdog said and take it back to the store and tell them your problem.

Your DVD burner worked before right? I think Kage already mentioned this before or was it in some other thread, I don't know. BUt try to do a System Restore to as far back as you can remember when your DVD burner did work.

Back
Top Bottom