Problems booting computer

TheCommonCold

Solid State Member
I've run into something annoying here. I turned off my computer this morning, then when I went to turn it back on this afternoon, it wouldn't turn on. Well, it turns on for about 4 seconds, then turns back off again. When I turned it off this morning, I pressed the power button several times and it turned on and off a couple times, it turned off, so I left it. When I came back this afternoon, this happened. I tried switching out many of the parts, but nothing helps. It doesn't even get to any sort of boot screen, for the OS or the BIOS. My currect specs are:

AMD 2600+
Powercolor 9600XT
1 Gig of RAM (512 Apacer, 512 Kingston)
2 Western Digital Hard Drives
Shuttle AN35-N Motherboard

Um...

Try unplugging all the power connections along with the drive cables except the mother board and see if you get the same results. Then shut down and add one item back in at a time. Sounds more like a short somewhere is shutting down the power supply.

I've tried it with on of both sticks and no sticks at all, and it still does the same thing. However, my friend did have my plug it into a wall (rather than surge strip) unplug all peripherals, and take out the ram, and it gave me one long beep.

So your PC boots up for like a few seconds and turns back off. Makes you wonder if there's a problem with the power supply or the motherboard itself. Maybe take it in to a shop and have them test your power supply with a tester to see if that's the problem. Or you can buy one for like $8.00 and test it yourself.

I've tried two different power supplies, one of which I know is good, and they both did the same thing, so it leads me to believe that it's a problem with the mobo. However, I did try it with no ram at all, and it gave me one long beep, so I don't think it's completely dead. Not sure what to do now...

Back
Top Bottom