dvd burner wont read or play dvds

newbie1

BSOD
thats why my name is newbie, My dvd burner used to burn and play dvds, but someone messed with it, and now i cant make it work any longer. Am I going to have to take it in to a shop to set it up to work again? Like I said it worked fine before!

How long before?

Use System Restore if you have a nerw windows.

Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore.

Restore back to a date where everything worked. It will lose where programs are that you have installed since then, or settings you have changed. But it is one way of getting it back if you did something stupid :p Try it

Hope this helps

Check out the status in the Device Manager to see if there are any exclamation marks or question marks next to the DVD+RW.

RIght-click on My Computer and select Properties. Then go to the Hardware tab and select Device Manager button

when I have troubleshooted and checked the drive in the device manager, there are no exclamation marks. I have not set up a system restore point, is it safe to click on one that has automatically been provided by computer matinence?

I have already reinstalled power dvd, but it still wouldnt read a store bought dvd. This all came about when I loaded an audio codec reader in order to play a dowloaded dvd movie with sound. Nero wouldnt allow me to hear it because i didnt have a certain decoder. Could this be the root of the problem?

Yes it is safe to set one that is set by the computer. It'll make one at set times, just make sure it isn't too far, but yeah, try it. Make one now, so you can go back if the one there doesnt work :) Its usually a simple way of fixing a problem by cancelling it in the first place

nope, even when I went back to when it was playing and recording properly, I still cant get it to work. When I try to burn a dvd, it says that my recorder doesnt support this type of dvd, even though i have burned dozens of the same kind! This is so frustrating

Back
Top Bottom