Lighter/Darker Video Playback

djdave711

Solid State Member
I've had a problem recently where my videos i make appear a lot darker in all media players except for Windows Media player. Ive tried Winamp, DivX and various other players but only Windows Media player plays the video at its true brightness and i dont understand why because all the brightness levels in all players are set normal. Its not as simple as setting the brightness higher either because i want to know weather its MY PC thats the problem or not because im sending my videos to other people. Ive only had this problem sinse changing my video editing software to Sony Vegas 5. I used to use Windows movie maker and all the videos i rendered in that had the same playback in all players. Ive also tried rendering the videos as different file types but nothing changes... .mpg .avi .wmv etc........

Can anyone please make any suggestions as to what i can do to resolve this issue?

Weird... The only thing I can think of is that Windows Media player does have a controller to change the brightness and contrast of videos...
Maybe there is a setting on Sony Vegas 5 to change the output brightness? Contrast?

Vegas 5 is still kinda new to me......but ive looked for ages and cant find anything about brightness output. Its so annoying! Say i have a sunset scene and i play it in WMP its fine but if i play it any other player, the picture is too dark to see well. You can see it but it just ruins the picture. Also another thing is i render alot in mpeg2 format and windows media player doesnt recognise it. it says error downloading codec but all other players are fine. Grrr...guess ill just buy a new PC! lol Need one anyway.......Celeron 2.6 is POOR for video editing :(

Yeah Mpeg-2 format is used for DVD's.

Go into Media Player and go to View, Enhancments, and then to show enhancments. It'll now appear when the video will be and find 'Video Settings'. See what media Players settings are set to :)

Weird that it doesn't have a setting, Check somwhere before exporting, in options for any extra video options, or place a brightness and contrast effect on the video

Welcome to Computer Forums by the way :)

Hmm... I can't see anything in the settings that might cause that problem...

Have you checked Media Player to see what brightness/contrast it is set to?

This might help me figure out whats wrong, because I have a feeling that, you know your video card settings can hold settings on the brightness and contrast of videos? Well Media Player might just be overtaking these settings for its own, and so culd that program.

Go into your video card settings:

right click desktop, Properties, Settings tab, then to advanced at the bottom.
If you had an ATI card for example it'd be under Colour settings of the card, but Nvidia i don't know.
There should be some settings somewhre though to change the brightness/contrast values of videos that might be affecting playback colours/contrasts.
Set these to higher than they are, or to standard middle values if they aren't already and try running some videos again :)

Hope this helps

Ive checked the brightness settings in Windows media player and all the settings are normal. All the settings in the other players are normal aswell and thats what i dont understand. I checked my video card's settings too but the brightness is normal and can only be changed for the whole computer not videos.

Hmm...that is very weird in that case... very weird indeed, especailly since Media Player can make it look normal and no other player can.

It must in some way be the software you are using, but I don't know why I'm afraid...its a very weird problem.

I'm sorry I couldn't help more

EDIT: Do the videos you send to people have the problems?

The problem has to be in Vegas 5 because it rendered the videos fine in other software ive used. When i preview the video in Vegas5 its fine, normal brightness....but once its rendered it its darker but not in WMP...........this really doesn't make sense at all. I'll try getting help from a forum dedicated to the program and see what i can find out.

I havent tried yet. No one will accept it because they only have WMP and no other player.

Okay, that might be worth a try.
It seems like it is definetly the program as it is exporting, but I'm sorry I don't know what.

Back
Top Bottom