help upgrading video card

Legenocide said:
where can i check the model of my motherboard? my computer is 6 months old

Your model is the Intel Bay Field D865GBF
http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/bf/

Kage said:
I can't be sure but that board does seem rather old and probably wouldn't support an 8x AGP interface.
This doesn't mean it wouldn't be able to use a card as powerful as that since it'll still support a 2x AGP interface which the card would lower down to.

It does support an 8x AGP interface

Sorry by the way everyone, I idnd't kno it'd be AGP 8x :(

In that case though, it'll run any card you throw at it...except for PCI-E of course

Most power supplies these days won't drop below a certain number in watts. I don't know a sure way of checking how much it has though.

If your already using a ATI9600 i'm sure that your current PSU can handle a X850

Although the X850 will require more power I'm sure it won't be a huge difference. Considering ATI are still using relatively smaller coolers than nVidia.

That picture was very helpful, the PCIe x16 BUS is black or another odd color while AGP is BROWN. Besides, the x16 PCIe is LONGER. As far as a GPU goes, I would recommend upgrading to the 6800GT or Ultra AGP version, or maybe the x800, the x850 is OVERKILL on AGP BUS... It just puts out too much for it to handle. Go with an x800 or 6800GT/Ultra for the budget. What are you looking to spend? AND DO NOT USE BEST BUY, I WORK THERE, WE CHARGE WAY TO MUCH!!!

Eh, they won't and I do not care if they did, they CANNOT get mad at me for what I say outside work, so screw Best Buy.

money_man said:
lol really? i thought if you worked at a place your not allowed ot go around saying it sucks.

Nope, not true, you can say whatever you want about a place OUTSIDE of work as long as it is TRUE or valid and you don't state it as a fact. For example, I cannot give release dates of the PSIII out because that is Classified info according to papers, nor can I talk about the way the store operates or anything involving customer privacy etc, but I can say I don't like Best Buy.

Back
Top Bottom