Intel's 64-bit narrows the gap with Athlon 64

Status
Not open for further replies.
EasternDigital said:
So what about your dumb claim that the Pentium 6XX is not full 64bit? What do you mean, feel free to explain that... :) And you are right, being that Intel still uses 20 PPLs as opposed to AMDs 8, they are less efficient, meaning higher clock speeds. However, when you have a P4 running at 4.5GHz and 61Celcius FULL LOAD with good air cooling, that is PRETTY GOOD. (this was before OCing more with Liquid modded cooling BTW) The 6xx have high clock speeds, are much more efficient, use less power (IN THE LONG RUN) and can throttle themselves just as the AMD Cool and Quiet can. Intel is almost done with their 90nm perfection. I am not an Intel fan, I am an AMD fan. The new 840EE dual core Pentium SUCKS compared to the new AMD X2, however, you claim that the new 6XX sucks is HEAVILY FLAWED. Go look at processor wafer architechture and then come back and say that. The HT technology along with the enhanced broad PPLs allows for much larger data transfer. The 2MB L2 also allows for increased power in gaming and audio/video decode and recode/compile. AMD is the better company for GAMING right now, but for photoshop, video editting, audio editting, and LARGE tasks of that nature, AMD doesn't make the bar, Intel does.

No flaming.

Again MHz or GHz don't matter because AMD is better and more efficient then Intel. They also can be overclocked too. My claim that the 6xx sucks is very solid and the point stands pretty well. I think you need to stop flaming people and understand how the AMD 64 and P4 6xx are designed. You will know the 64 is better designed. Photoshop also does better with AMD, as well as larger tasks with the exception of audio editing. AMD does make the bar. And defeats Intel 80% of the time.

Giancarlo said:
No flaming.

Again MHz or GHz don't matter because AMD is better and more efficient then Intel. They also can be overclocked too. My claim that the 6xx sucks is very solid and the point stands pretty well. I think you need to stop flaming people and understand how the AMD 64 and P4 6xx are designed. You will know the 64 is better designed. Photoshop also does better with AMD, as well as larger tasks with the exception of audio editing. AMD does make the bar. And defeats Intel 80% of the time.

LMAO!! Well, so you are saying that I don't know that Intel uses 20 PPLs and AMD uses a mere 8PPLs, making them more efficient? Are you also saying that I don't know that the wafer design on the AMDs uses a silicon interconnector that allows fewer power leaks and less heat giveoff? And are you then infering that I do not understand the fact that the new AMD64's use a 64KB dual L1 Cache that includes Memory instruction sets in a singular area, and then RAM extension sets in an entirely different one? And then you think that I don't know that Intel uses a Copper Silicon hybrid that is inefficient and not nearly as stable and efficient as AMDs SOI? Well, even if I didn't know any of this, I would say saying that the 6XX Pentiums suck is a bit of an overstatement..... You are very arguementative with no backup. I use both Giancarlo, I know what they can do, and for Photoshop, AMD does NOT excel, Intel does. You need to use both before telling someone who does they are wrong.

You tell me, I wasn't trying to own anyone, but he has no RIGHT to cut down the 6XX without using one and comparing it DIRECTLY with an equivalent AMD CPU.

This is going to (or all ready has) turned into the usuall Intel v AMD row. At the end of the day, as long as the end user is happy, whats the big deal? The P3 lappy I'm using the now has taught me that - I can do my college work just as good on it than my last 3GHz rig.

I do tend to agree with EasternDigital, except for a few things -
the P4 6xx are slightly slower than the P4 5xx series clock for clock. This is by a silly ammount though - rougthly about 2-5% in most cases. This is due to Intels Spead Step technology and perhaps the addressing time needed for the extra 1MB cache. In about a year though, when 64bit long code comes out, I'm sure the advantages of the extra cache will be worth it though. Also, the P4 Northwood core has 20 Pipelines, and the Prescott has 31- another bumber for the Prescott. I think all the new added features and the 64bit support more than make up for this though in the 6xx series.
One other small thing, the Athlon64 has a 12 stage pipeline, and the Athlon XP has a 10 stage pipeline.

I know I'm being picky, but it adds more credibity to your posts.

In the end, just like your sig, It doesn't really matter, they both get the job done.

Ps. I know what it's like arguing without the other being reasonable with proof, happens alot in this topic of dicussion.

Gee Thx all! I try, although he did send me a very nasty PM. I WONT post it out here, as that is why it was a PM, but that guy needs to cool his jets, he obviously can't take a debate lightly.

Umm, I think Staticshock MOD guy did it after Gian went on an attack in that A380 plane thread. Oh well.. later. I am off to work for the night! TA TA!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom