Gaming computer purchase help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apotheosis

Solid State Member
Sorry in advance if this has already been posted a few times, but I'm buying a new PC and I want it for gaming. Now, when I say gaming, I don't mean anything too extreme. The kind of games I play are usually things like Warcraft, WOW, RPG-oriented and things like that. What kind of pc would be good for a price range of 500-1000 bucks that won't have shitty frame rates and graphics?

I was looking at buying an eMachines T6212 just because it's expandable if I need it, and it looks all around good for what I'm going to do. What's your guys opinion on that?

~Your thankful n00b (Mike)

And one more question: What makes alienware computers so much better then the others on the market?

First off Aleinware computers are overpriced. What makes them better is that many of their computers are AMD setups. Meaning an AMD processor and motherboard rather then a intel processor and motherboard. AMD setups (untill you get into pentiums newer high end very high priced processors then its a different story, but even then the argument thaT AMD processors are better), are better act gaming. Alienwares for the most part are designed around gaming, which is why people (a lot of gamers) like alienware computers.
--------------

Now in my opinion a computer much better then an alienware can be built for either the same price or less as one.

--------

Don't get the e-machine. If your looking for a gaming computer go to www.dell.com, pick a rather cheap pc out, and customize it. Upgrade things like the graphics card and the ram. A huge hard drive isn't nesecary. The three things your lookign for in a good gamign computer in order of which i consider most important is as follows:

1. Graphics Card (Radeon 9800 is a great budget card, or the Nvidia 6600 is also very good)

2. Ram (1gb or more would be best)

3. Processor (I put this last because it isn't that important, or i don't consider it. As long as you have a decent processor then you will be good.)

Okay, before we go on, could you at least check out the specs on the eMachine. I realize that eMachines has been nothing but low-budget crap in the past, but I heard that since the merging with Gateway, they have become much better pcs for the price. This computer just came out. Here's a link to the specs:

http://reviews.cnet.com/eMachines_T6212/4505-3118_7-31341178.html

I heard that it's really not that bad for gaming right off the bat, and it's epandable, so couldn't I pick up another graphics card sometime soon? I'm really not trying to be confrontational, honestly, but I'm just trying to keep it pretty cheap. I have anime expo to go to this summer, lol.

Actaully, do not get a PC from Dell or eMachines. They use propriatary connectors etc etc. If you do, you CANNOT upgrade them, especially Dells!

Building a PC is not hard at all. It is like putting LEGO bricks together with wires that connect them. With a $1000 price limit, if you want, I can get you a parts list that will make your head spin around, and SLAUGHTER ANYTHING Dell can offer, even their mighty XPS! :D

So there's no way you can put any more graphics cards in there? I thought that's what was cool about this new model from eMachines is the simple fact that it's equipped with pci express functionality along with the radeon xpress 200.

I just wanna play Warcraft type games, not unreal or Half Life 2, or anything like that. Even though I'm sure putting a comp together wouldn't be all that hard...I know it would take time, and that's something I don't like giving up lately. (I work too much) I figured that for the price, this system would hold up enough to play the games I want as long as I get one more graphics card.

Oh, you can put a graphics card in there, no doubts there. However, the Radeon xpress 200 has POOR REVIEWS on OCing, the BIOS on eMachines is LOCKED, meaning no tweaking the RAM or OCing ANYTHING. Also, if you try and put a BIG Graphics card in that is a power hog (aka the 6800 series or x800 series) you will have a problem if the PSU is small (which 95% sure it is I am (Yoda)) And since eMachines and Dell both use a specially made connectior on the MOBO and on the source cable that runs to the MOBO, that means you are STUCK with that PSU and that MOBO unless you replace BOTH at the same time. Pity isn't it?

Wow, I am so lost. So what is reccomended for my price range that I can pick up as a complete? And maybe add a graphics card.

**Edit**

And I"m most likely buying it from BestBuy, so if you could check out their stuff, I'd appreciate it. Sorry for all the trouble guys.

Ah, the good news is, I work at Best Buy. If you are going that route (which I recommend you dont) then go with an HP (that is AMD based) or an Intel based Insignia (Best Buy's own PCs which are NOT propriatary).

I still say order from www.ibuypower.com or www.cyberpowersystem.com , but that is just me, you get a better deal that way with GOOD PARTS and a GREAT PRICE, Graphics card and all! But seriously, building your own is easy as pie, I will be HAPPY to help you through it. I can even give you a COMPLETE parts list to order from www.newegg.com and then you just plop it together. Easy and FUN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom