Formatting Ipod

Jefforaby

Daemon Poster
I have a 40 GB ipod that I rarely use. Can I format my ipod to NTFS and use it as a regular external harddrive? Are the hdd's in ipods more fragile than regular ones? Also, once I format it to NTFS, I won't be able to use the ipod, correct?

Thanks for the help.

I could be wrong, but I don't think there's a way you could do this. I suspect the iPod requires whatever software is on it to link to you're computer. Why not just use it as it? Don't they work as a regular harddrive?

Well, if you REALLY want to ruin the iPod, I bet you could open it up and simply remove the harddrive and connect it to your computer with a converter. I suspect, but I'm not sure once again, that the drive is basically a 2.5" or some such size, and would work with that converter.

before i got to read this, i have already formatted my ipod - i tried to use the provided updater - but it simply said "disk write error". after that i`ve run a windows disk check on it, it has fixed some errors - i`ve tried to defragment it but it didn`t work. on that stage i decided to format it - as i had no other options left. when i formatted it - 99% done - an error occured - it could not format the ipod entirely - i think thats because while it is connected (what has to be an apple nasty way of treating windows users) there is a message on ipod saying - do not disconnect and it wont disappear. if anyone could tell me - how can i switch the ipod off, so that the hdd would still be working? or - is there any way to open one and take the hdd out? is there possibly any way of fixing the problem? if anyone could help me with that my gratitude would be infinite

thanks in advance

Hmm... is there a reset switch?

After you have done that and it has turned off, dissconnect it and try to start it up again. Ipod should have some firmware on it that should be able to format the drive with its menu system. If not, Apple just dont think.

Yeah there would be a way of opening it, but like The_Other_One said, cant you use it as an external drive anyway? Does NTFS over FAT32 really matter?

I suspect it won't format because it'll be setup in a special way with some type of partition for use as the IPOD. Though it is just a laptop 2.5 inch hard drive.

yeh they would probably, if you dont want your ipod, they are wicked put it on ebay and the buy a proper hard disk.

After i`ve used the apple updater, when i resetted my ipod an icon appeared - system files error. i cant get to any other menu - its just that icon. i would keep it as a fat32 drive, but now i cannot format it so that i could update the system files on it manually. when i try to open the drive, it says its not formatted - so i am in a no way out situation really. i want to use it as an ipod, not as a hdd - but i cannot really use it as any of these. do you think there could be a way of overriding the safety lock, so i could format it entirely? as i had a look on my ipod, it looks like the parts are glued - i believe that if i open it, i won`t be able to put the pieces together. can you take a look at it and tell me what you think? in my opinion the only way to make it work is to take the hdd out, format it, update the system files, make an ipod out of it and put the hdd back into the box. maybe there is a way of switching the ipod entirely off, so that it would be just plain hdd working - than you can format it and the files that make messages on the ipod appear could be updated. please, tell me what you think.

thanks for help

hmm, the hard drive was never meant to be formatted completly though and was meant for the I-pod and not as a computer device. The fact that you have tried seems like it has corrupted the entire hard drive since it didn't format completly.
I don't know much about Apples and can't say how to make it format completly. Though people do format them to get them to work with Windows I've heard and so it should.

The only thing I can say to do really is to get it looked at by Apple, by sending it off. That is honestly the only way.

The insides of an Ipod are not supposed to be opened up by someone whos not a professional which is why everythings probably glued. For instance you need to send it off to get a replacement battery, and then they;d do it for you.
I'm afriad you'll have to do the same thing with the drive :( It seems faulty anyway if people can format it.

Sorry and I hope you get it sorted. Try e-mailing or phoning customer services...though I don't know how good they are...

actually, i dont think that this can be done, cause it is an apple product, i think......anyway, it is solely for mp3 music, i dont personally have one but, i do beleive that it cant hold any htmp. text. peril or any other types of files.....(just oppinion)

Back
Top Bottom