DVD Rom problem

Ok, that sounds like a good idea. I am sure it is just the fact that you have no CPU controlling power flow to the drive, so it wont work. :D

Works fine in my other PC. CPU must have something to do with it. Strange cause my LG DVD-RW drive powers up fine with no CPU.

Anyway .. thanks for trying

Kage said:
You definetly can, or atleast with ones without the cap on one of the sides
Someone had this problem before but it ended up to be one of them not in properly, but in this case if it keeps being plugging up, it can't be this :)
yep, kage is right, if you are using older IDE cables (like 1996 and older, maybe some newer) They dont have the bolcks that most newer ones do, this sort of thing happens all the time to me, only I did it with HD's :D

yeah, it doe cut power off the drive if you do flip it the wrong way which might have been the problem but it doesn't seem like it.

It must be something to do with that because as soon as you dissconnect it from the motherboard it works which is exactly what mine was doing.

Have you tried using a different IDE slot? Maybe 2 instead of 1, or 1 instead of 2?

it could also be a faulty connection causing it like I said so try a different IDE cable if possible which might be doing it also, unles you used the same IDE cable on the other computer.

If you did, the only thing left is the connection on the motherboard

Hope this helps :)

I tested the IDE cable on my other optical drive (LG) and both the master and slave plugs worked fine. I think it has something to do with the fact that I didnt have a CPU or RAM in that PC. This drive (the Lite-On) seems to have its drivers built in to it too. Once I put it in my other machine, and found new drivers for it, it worked great. When I installed the updated drivers, they seemed to update something in the drive it's self.

Strange

I wouldn't think it'd update the drivers in the device though, not a Windows driver, but does it work now?
Or is it because you've got the other parts that its now working do you think?

Thats why I think it is working. But once I had it working I wanted to update the drivers anyway. When I installed them, I swear it looked like it was updating something in the hardware itself. The install program searched for the DVD drive, then told me the version of the driver it was un-installing, then the version it was installing. And everytime the program did something new, the drive light lit up like it was a HDD or something.
Strand yet way cool.

I still reckon you should wait untill you get all the other parts before playing about with it much more. You might break it messing about.

Back
Top Bottom