Motherboard, processor and RAM

matt_999

BSOD
Hey, just a couple of quickies.

1. When i buy a motherboard will it only accept a certain amount of RAM??

2. Can any1 give the make and model me a really cheap motherboard and processor, im thinking really cheap!?!?!?!

3. Can any1 give me the name of a relatively good motherboard and processor, which if the answer to question 1 was yes, a motherboard can only accept a certain amount of RAM, which can accept upto 1GB of RAM??

Thankyou so much, i am currently upgrading a computer and just needed a little bit of help, all imput is much Obliged.

Regards
Matt

1). Yes, MOBOs only accept a certain amount of RAM based on number of DIMM slots and BIOS level and CPU type. Opteron boards support the most RAM.

2). Yes, BIOSTAR makes EXCELLENT BOARDS on a tight budget. They are high quality, come with lots of extras, and are INEXPENSIVE.

3). Any MOBO can accept 1GB, that is not as much as you think nowadays. To be honest.... 16GBs is the level I would be worried about. Here are some links for you. Enjoy.

BIOSTAR PCI Express Motherboard nForce4

AMD Athlon64 3000+ 1.8GHz Socket 939 CPU

Personally, I had bad experiences with biostair. A mobo from them was the first to actually die on me completely, followed by a FIC. As I tell most people here, if you can afford it, go with Abit.

As for you're questions, I think Eastern got them...

The_Other_One said:
Personally, I had bad experiences with biostair. A mobo from them was the first to actually die on me completely, followed by a FIC. As I tell most people here, if you can afford it, go with Abit.

As for you're questions, I think Eastern got them...

matt_999 said:
what are DIMM slots? how does your BIOS level effect it?

As to your comment Other One, I agree with you for the most part, but my BRO uses this BIOSTAR board, and it works flawlessly. I recommend BIOSTAR's new lines, but their nForce250 and down were TERRIBLE!!!! They improved and got a new CEO, give them a second chance eh?

As to your other questions Matt, DIMM slots are the slots you put your RAM into. The BASIC INPUT OUTPUT SYSTEM or BIOS controls the main parts of the PC with extreme accuracy. If the BIOS is limited to only "seeing" 4GBs of RAM, then even if you add more, the BIOS won't "see" it, and will just round down to 4GBs and tell windows you only have 4GBs. On new motherboards, you don't have to worry about this though.

EasternDigital - Perhaps they are better now... I had a Via KT133 based chipset that had video problems almost since day one... And it didn't have onboard video. But anyway, it could of just been a bad board.

The_Other_One said:
EasternDigital - Perhaps they are better now... I had a Via KT133 based chipset that had video problems almost since day one... And it didn't have onboard video. But anyway, it could of just been a bad board.

Yeah, that was a BAD BOARD most likely, but then again, their VIA chipsets have never been UBER GOOD.... :)

Back
Top Bottom