DVD Rom problem

Methost

In Runtime
Ok so Im not sure if this is an actual problem yet. I am building a PC. Yesterday, I wired the MB, and the DVDs. The DVD ROM I was planning on using as my primary works fine when only the power is connected to it. As soon as I connect the IDE cable, there seem to be no power to the unit. This is the only one I have seen do this. Now having said that, I have no RAM or CPU on the MB yet. I was just checking my wiring, power to the units etc etc.

Does anyone know of a reason that the Drive wont operate when connected to an IDE? but work fine when not connected?

Its a Lite-On drive btw ...

I've had this problem before with my CD drive. Basically when your putting the IDE cable in, you are putting it in the wrong way round.
Flip it around horizontally and put it in again. You'll find it should now operate.
Its some kind of safety feature because some IDE cables go in both ways :)

Hope this helps

i like this answer kage even i have not come accross this one i must admit.
i thought you could only put ide cables in one way as there is a blank for the missing pin. but you have taught me something new again cheers

You definetly can, or atleast with ones without the cap on one of the sides
Someone had this problem before but it ended up to be one of them not in properly, but in this case if it keeps being plugging up, it can't be this :)

I know you were'nt, and I know you believe me. Where did that come from? :p

Nope ... looks like there is no way to put this cable on backwards. Any other thoughts?

Hmm, connchri has a point. Also make sure that you have enough power to supply the drive once it is interfaced with the MOBO. :D

500W power supply.

I am powering up now because it may be a month or more before I gather the remainding parts. And if I have to send somthing back, I dont want to wait too long to do it.

I am going to try the drive in another computer.

Back
Top Bottom