Uninstall of Fedora Core 3 HELP QUESTION.

Duzz

In Runtime
Here it goes.

I currently have Fedora core 3 installed on my Dell Latitude C610. I tryed to put the XP install cd and it does nothing. I have a Bootdisk from a website.... and tryed to use that by formating my drive and what not, im at a complete loss i have sold this laptop and would like to get XP on it asap, cause the guy is waiting on it in the mail.

If there is anything im missing on how to do it or something. If there is a kind person in the audience that would like to give a step by step, that would be grand!. Or a link would suit as well. Thanks alot.

Eric

Hi,

Maybe you don't have it set up when it boots up to check for the CD first? Go into bios by pressing Del usually *no pun intended* at bootup (it will say otherwise somewhere at the bottom or right)

Go into the first menu and check that it is set that the cd rom drive is read before the hard drive is

for example:

First Boot device: CD Rom
Second Boot Device: IDE-01 *doesnt always have to be IDE-01 (which is the Hard drive)

So just change these to make the order so that it will see the cd first before it attempts to boot Fedora.
Then Save and Exit.

EDIT: If you have a flopy drive you could use too before sending it off, maybe set the second boot device to : Floppy, and the third boot device to the hard drive. Thats if it has 3 options.

Now put the disc in again and restart. Hopefully it'll see it first and start booting from it.
Windows setup will then format the drive before placing XP on it :)

Hope this helps

You've also taught me something new. I didn't know there was an operating system called Fedora Core. Sounds good though with the 3rd party app's it contains... and is free?

Yes its free.

Also i have had the boot sequence Cd first always. Its Hard to exsplain.

Hmm, if it is the original Windows startup installation cd, it should see it and boot straight into it. If its not doing that and you've set the cd first, I really can't see what could be causing it...

Does it give any indiciation it is trying to read the disc?

Yes, it says hit any key to boot from disc. Then spinns and says checking something.. and then it goes black screen nothing. Thats all she wrote, then i have to turn it off and stuff but i have no idea.

Yeah that can come up, it should then after pressing a button boot up the setup after checking your system...

Maybe because you have an other operating system its going haywire when it tries to see whats on your pc. You could create a boot disc that will wipe the drive I'm sure if you haven't got windows. A website might have a link to the files you need to create one.

Have you got a floppy drive?

If so, i'll find the files for you on a website. Or send them by e-mail if you want with instructions if I can't find a site with them :)

Back
Top Bottom