Monitor problem...

Movieguy

Baseband Member
Ok, I've got a whole new headache surrounding my new HP processor.

See, whenever I try to exit a game or application that requires the screen resolution to be changed, I only get a black screen with the mouse cursor when I try to go back to the desktop. I have no idea why this happens, but I think it may be because I'm still using the montior from my old Dell Dimension with my new HP processor.

Is this the case? I hope not because I've seen how expensive monitors are, and I just don't have the money for a new one right now.

odds are it isnt the monitor, and an HP processor? I think you mean HP PC. it's probably your vid card/ adapter, check the drivers, and it could be from overheating? what kind of games do you play when it does this?

Hmm... sounds like you have integrated graphics, and the CPU is seizing up when you exit from the strain, or your GPU is overheating and or CPU. Check your temps.

You know, before I got it online, I never used to have the HP on for long periods of time, and this didn't start happening until I started leaving it on regularly.

So if it's the temperature, then what can I do to cool the thing down?

Get fans, a new Processor heatsink, and a graphics card that has decent cooling (if you have integrated graphics) or get an NV silencer for your GPU. :D

I hate to keep bringing up price again, but I don't think I can afford a new graphics card right now. And I've got no clue how much that other stuff is gonna cost me.

Plus if I were able to afford a new graphics card, I'd probably have to take apart my processor to put it in, and I have NO clue how to do that, and I'm too scared of damaging the thing to even try.

Geez, spend almost 1,000 bucks for a new processor and you're still paying for it two months later. :p

Hey I wouldn't worry. It does seem like something weird is going on though.

It must be something with your graphics chip, though can you change resolutions of your desktop in Display Properties? Right click desktop, Properties. Goto Settings.
What resolution is it set to?

If it's above 1024x768 lower it down to this. If it is at 1024x768, try lowering it down to 800x600. Then try running an application again, seeing if it makes a difference when you exit. Some computers might ask to restart before the changes will make effect

Hope this helps

Nope, the thing has been set at 800x600 resolution all this time, so it's not the resolution.

hmm... when your on a game, is this also at 800x600? Or higher? Check in options

Try upping your desktop res to 1024x768 just to see what happens for example

Back
Top Bottom