Networking/Sharing of devices

Moronicus

Beta member
What I would like to do is share a printer and a scanner between 2 computers that are in the same room. I have DSL and a wired router. I tried over the weekend to install a printserver, but it was not compatible with the printer I have. What I would like to know is can I do what I want to do with a print server? How much of a nightmare is it going to be to install and configure? The printserver I had was a Belkin, but it was not compatible with an Epson C82 printer. Has anybody ever used a Hawking Technology print server? Or a D-link? Which is a good one? Or do I need something altogether different. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to this kind of stuff. Any help anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

crossover cable is the answer here. just buy a cat5 cable as long as you have a ethernet card in both pcs connect both pcs with cat 5 cable.
goto controll panel/netwrk connection/setup home small office network.
follow the instructions on the screen. do this with both pcs and if all goes well you should be able to share all files and folders and printers scanners etc but you will have to give prmition to each folder /printer etc to share.
ie control panel/printers click properties you should see a tab called sharing then network wizzard follow the instuctions.
ie sharing a folder/file etc choose the folder properties sharing tab allw this folder to be shared.a bit long winded but it doesnt take long as long as you run the setup wizard ok hope this helps

MSI kt3 ultra motherboard AMD 3000+ barton core cpu 2.17 GHZTHERMATAKE 3400 AMD FAN/(extra cool) 256 L1 CACHE 512 L2 CACHE 1 GIG DDR RAM 2700 Mhz MEMORY 2.5 clATI RADEON 7200 SE GRAPHICS (NOT THE BEST BUT NOT BAD) WIFI NETGEAR ADAPTER REALTEK NETWORK CARD REALTEK AC 97 5.1 SOUND SURROUND 6 X USB 2.0 1X FIREWIRE ON D BRACKET 1 X 7200RPM 80 MAXTOR DIAMOND PLUS 9 HARD DRIVERUNNING 2 X XP HOME 1 X XP PRO1 x 40 DIAMOND PLUS 9 7200 RPM BACKUP DRIVES 1 X CD RW/DVD ROM 1 X DVDRW MULTI DRIVE 1 X FLOPPY 1 X 12 IN 1 CARD READER2 MB WIRLESS BROADBAND

Hehe ASSEMBLER, you seem to know your stuff about networks :) Glad you could help

i do i bit of networking at work but i also have a pc in the back room for me and one in the dowstairs bedroom for my son and a laptop.
but my sons pc and mine used to be networked with cable.
now i have a wirless router and we share file and printer/internet connection etc.i guess i just picked it up a long the way but i also did a lot and alot of reading.but all worth while in the end.if the bill gates signiture bothers you that much ill get rid of it .

Back
Top Bottom