Hard Drive Help

colin11

Beta member
I am building a computer and i am having trouble with my motherboard detecting my hard drive. I have a Abit motherboard and a Western Digital hard drive. The hard drive connects to the motherboard through a SATA cable. I have this cable connected to the motherboard in the SATA port 1 and i have the power connected to the hard drive. Now the computer turns on and i have set the command in the bios to boot from cd first so that i can install windows XP but when it starts loading the settings for windows it says "setup did not find any hard disk drives installed on your computer". Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

I have it on auto detect in the bios, so it should detect it, right? The bios asks if it is ide or sata and i have the SATA option on.

Well try putting it to master drive. Have you put in all the right cables in the right spaces?

This is a common problem with SATA. First, try a different SATA cable, as when an SATA cable is bent totally over, it collapses and is destroyed. Then, if that fails, make sure the drive is spinning up, and then make sure to try a different power connector if not. Also, make sure to try and use an SATA power connector as well. Then, change the SATA you have the drive set to, in otherwords, change it to SATA 2. Then, check your jumper settings and make sure it is set to CABLE SELECT or MASTER, no SLAVE. If drive select fails, put it on MASTER mode.

yeah, it seems like most of the members around here have their little debate ring in the social lounge and neglect helping these guys over here.

Back
Top Bottom