AMD vs. Intel, Nvidia vs. ATI...

The P4 core, Prescott runs pretty hot and with super low voltage of Athlon 64's Winchester core, they run undeniably cooler.

The P4's are very strong when it comes to video editing as well as in several other encoding/decoding situations. For gaming however, AMD is currently on top and serves the overclocking community well by providing partially unlocked processors required for their Cool and Quiet ability. The ability to lower the multiplier and crank up the HTT and memory frequency is excellent. If you are a gamer, there is no alternative to AMD at present.

alvino said:
Get the 6800 GT is you really need it. If you jsut do mild gaming, then go with the 6600 GT.

What do you mean by "mild gaming"? The 6600GT can play any game of today and tomarrow with good settings. I remember when I got the 5600Ultra everyone told me it wasn't going to be that good, and if I was planning on gaming alot I shouldn't get it. Well, I did, and it ran everything I had a good settings. The 6600GT will game anything, sure, not as good as the 6800, but who cares if you dont 100 billion frames in half-life 2, 70 is just as good.

Yeah I dunno what you mean by mild gaming. I play half life 2 and cs:source on high settings perfectly. If that's mild, then what's extreme? >_>

I meant as in play the usual games, but not all the time. If you're not oging to play games all the time, then why get such a good card? The 6600 GT is a very capable card, but it was designed for more like gaming/multimedia. If they desinged the 6600's to be a complete gaming card, then the 6800's would be gone by now.

The 6600GT is a complete gaming card if you ask me, and the 6800 series is too, its just better. Just because its better doesnt mean the one below it in model is only meant for "mild gaming".

I never said that it was only for "mild gaming". Why are you taking this as an insult when I don't mean it to be (atleast your words have that type of tone)?

"...If you jsut do mild gaming, then go with the 6600 GT."

First of all, sorry for sounding harsh, I was getting alittle worked up for nothing, lol.

Ok, but I just want to point out that you did say it was for mild gaming...

Ok, so do this... and stop argueing over this damn topic, it's getting REALLY REALLY OLD....

Go with ATi on this one for HL2, if you are more into DooM3, go nVidia. However, both are good, so do what you want.

As far as CPUs go, there is NO RIVAL to AMD in GAMING.... PERIOD. Intel can't touch AMD in gaming CPUs since the AMDs use an integrated memory controller for direct RAM BUS access. The INtel chips have to use an external on motherboard RAM controller located on the northbridge, making them inefficient for gaming... PERIOD.

Here, on a 500$ budget for both video and CPU, here goes nothing.

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103502
CPU, get this, OC it, and be happy. Now, you have 110 extra to throw at the GPU, meaning 310 for the GPU. So here goes.

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814164040
Total for this = $309

Total= 499$

ENJOY. AND BTW, that CPU and that GPU OCed will SCREAM through ANY game!

Back
Top Bottom