AMD vs. Intel, Nvidia vs. ATI...

James0071

Baseband Member
Apologies if this has already been answered somewhere, but I have a few questions. I was going to build a high end gaming machine. I'm not sure what I should use.

ATI or Nvidia 256MB Video
I only want to spend $300 on a Processor.

I heard ATI is all around good. I've also been told that Nvidia is better for gaming, compared to ATI. All my friends highly recommend buying an ATI instead of an Nvidia card. Yes, all of them. Not a single one wanted me to buy any Nvidia card. They might be bias, so I'm asking you. What would be your opinion? The only thing I really want to do is game. I was looking at some 256 graphic comparisions between the two, and it ATI looks alot better. I'm not sure what I should get.

I can't say that I really care what Processor I get. I wanted to spend no more than $300 on a Processor. What do you think I should get? I don't know the Pro's and Con's between the two. What are they?

Thanks

ok whats ur video card budget. ATI had the X850xtpe which is the best card out. get a AMD athlon64 3000+ and o/c it like myself :) then get a x850xt pe which is like $500.00 american or get a 6800 ultra and your set. if u can the Nvidia card you can use SLI which is like 2 cards on one board

Yeah, amd64 3000+ is a good deal (if you get that, make sure it has a Winchester core). Its around 140 us dollars on newegg.com, this way you can save 160 dollars+ however much you had saved up for a video card. If you really have the money, go with the top of the lin but they're really pricy. Nvidia has always been good to me, I always suggest them over ATI...Plus, you always have the option of scaliable link interface with an nvidia, hell, its a free option that comes with it. 6800Ultra is a good card, the best, but if you wanr a really nice "mid-range" card, get the 6600GT. <<<that card there is considered midrange, but its a better midrange card than I've ever seen, and the price is cheap.

I'm on a $300 Processor budget, not a $300 gaming machine budget. $200 max for video card. Let's just say I'm aiming for $1300 for everything.

James007 said:
I'm on a $300 Processor budget, not a $300 gaming machine budget. $200 max for video card. Let's just say I'm aiming for $1300 for everything.

Yeah, I understood what you meant. Well, if you have a 200 dollar gpu budget, go with the 6600GT, no doubt the best choice. I suggest you also stick with the amd64 3000+

Any AMD Athlon 64 for about $300 will do (since they kick a$$ for gaming) and a nVIDIA 6600 GT for about $200 will keep you gaming for a while. If any of your friends tell you to buy a X700, don't listen to them. The 6600 GT beats the crap out of the X700 any day (even when the X700 has more video memory than the 6600 GT).

If the most you can spend on a video card is 200, then the obvious choice is the 6600 GT. It's the best mid-range card out. It's competitors are the x700 Pro and XT and it beats both for a cheaper price. Get the 6600 GT from either MSI, BFG, Leadtek, eVGA, or Gigabyte. You will not be disappointed.

but like I said before, if you pay 140/300 you were willing to spend for a processor, you could then take the 160 you saved and have enough for a 6800GT

Get the 6800 GT is you really need it. If you jsut do mild gaming, then go with the 6600 GT.

Back
Top Bottom