What is firmware

Joe2

Baseband Member
I have recently had trouble with Genie-Soft backup software. I was trying to complete a multi session backup (5GB) and it completed one disc, prompted for disc 2 and then no further prompts. It just continued writing to disc2.

They tell me I need to back up my firmware. I am not sure what they mean by this and their explanation hasn't helped me.

I have Nero 5.5.10.9 installed on my computer and my CD-RW Burner is Imation. I used the Nero Info tool which showed [1.0] G:\CD-RW CDR 6S52 in the top left of the box and Type: CD-RW Recorder and Firmware Version: CDR 6S52.

I went on to the Nero site which states they will not accept responsibility for any firmware updates.

I haven't a clue what I'm supposed to do now. It's taken me ages to get this far and in all honesty, I don't really know what I am doing. Is the firmware update supposed to be for Nero or Imation. Can anyone help me?

My OS is WinXP Pro

Joe

The firmware would be for your drive since firmware is the hardware updates, and if it was real firmware, it would mean a program on the ROM chip to define what the hardware is,.
rather than software which would be a piece of software.

So it must mean something to do with storing the drives firmware if you've updated it before in the form of a windows driver, just incase your computer were to go bust.
But your drive would have its old firmware on a driver cd or something to know what it is in the first place to make it possible to use it.

So I wouldn't know why it should be coming up with that error in that case, but i wouldn't worry

Back
Top Bottom