Q about new lappy CPU.....

Tweak

In Runtime
Ive noticed that lappies have started to be built around a Pentium M CPU? My dad's older lappy (about a year old) uses a 2.8ghz P4....my friends new lappy uses a 1.8ghz Pentium M....Im not really up to date on this but i woudl like to know why they are using slower processors....

Clock speed is not everything. A 1.8Ghz Pentium M will generally perform on par with a P4 2.8Ghz or so. But it should be sufficient to run anything that requires a 2Ghz P4, and keep in mind the added advantage of better power management, lower heat dissipation, and better battery life from a Pentium M. This is a laptop, so these factors are important.

yea i was just wondering czu i notcied that it wanst as fast....im like wtf is
this, lol

Yeah, looks can be decieving sometimes. The Pentium M has a higher IPC than the regular mobile Pentium 4, so the lower clock speed won't make as much of a differance. Extra RAM would help in the Penium M laptop, but then again, laptops will always be restricted by their limited upgradeability so all you can really do is get the very best available now and hope its enough.

george - I've not seen many with that option, but i have overclocked my Desknote before(which uses some desktop hardware...) Hah, even without overclocking, the darn thing overheats!

Back
Top Bottom