firewire cables and adapters

no its like something in the first like with the usb ports like this
sku10175_small.jpg

I don't get exactly what you mean. Do you mean a firewire card that plugs into USB? Or one that plugs into a PCI slot but has USB extensions too?

https://www.mycomputerbits.co.uk/acatalog/Firewire.html

This is a link from that site of the Firewire 800 that plugs into a PCI port and allows only Firewire ports which would work.

EDIT: Oh sorry. Those pics didn't load up at first. I'll have a look.

Wouldn't those just be Firewire to USB though? So you wouldn't get the speed increases of firewire, and I don't think Firewire devices would work in the same way as if you got an adapter.
I'm not sure on this though, but that adapter just seems to be if theres a device with only Firewire functionality that would work through USB

I think ColdwaterCS does mean Firewire to USB since he/she hasn't got Firewire on the PC.

EDIT: I don't think those would allow for the same functionality would they? So you could plug up camcorders and things?...

well what i am looking for is that most of the computer cases i get that haves a option to add a firewire port in the front and im looking for a adapter or something i put in the front for a firewire.

Ah, i think this will just be the sort of thing I have on my case. It's just the connection for one, but without the card. in that case, you will need a PCI plug in card.

Some motherboards that support Firewire already would come with sockets.

After getting that, you'd just fit it through the connection on the case

If you got a wire, there would have to be an option to plug it straight into the motherboard from that connection on the case (check the motherboard manual).

As for the plug in card if there is no connection on the motherboard, it is best to go on the internet for a trusted shop, and just look for 'Firewire add on cards' or even 'Firewire' in the search.
Same thing would go for the wires, but these would be much cheaper than a whole add on card if your motherboard supports it straight off, but you said it doesn't.

These cards should then plug into a spare PCI port on the motherboard and work straight away. The one on the case would not have to matter

Back
Top Bottom