Starr's Spyware Removal Tutorial

Starr

Daemon Poster
I wrote this tutorial a long time ago. With the new age in spyware I came to realize that people were not aware. And a lot of people who were didn't know what to do. So I took it upon myself to write an indepth tutorial on how to rid these menances once and for all. I am also going to revise this and add a few new things I learned and throw in the personal firewalls.First thing we need is the tools. This is a free tutorial for cleaning your PC and getting it up to speed. All programs used in this tutorial are free.

Software:
Adaware SE
Spybot Search & Destroy
Microsoft Anti-spyware Beta 1
Hijack This
Mozilla Firefox

Ok install all of those goodies.

Ok batting leadoff is Ad-aware. Go into ad-aware and click check for updates. Install any updates. When that is complete click the scan now tab. Now you have your choices of scan types. I recommend a full scan but if you are in a hurry smart scan is effective. Run the scan and grab some cookies or something. When the the scan is complete it lists all of the spyware found. Right click on one of the boxes and select the "select all" option from the toolbar. Than click the negligible objects bar and select all those objects using the same method. Now when you have all of those selected click next button. Now you should be at the main page in the upper right you will see a picture of a lock. Click than. Then click the file there and click delete. Now your done with Ad-aware.

Next up is Spybot Search & Destroy. Load this up. Click the update tab on the left. Next click "Search for Updates" now torwards the bottom there will be a list of the available updates. Click them all and click "Download Updates." When those are complete click the Search & Destroy tab on the left. Then click check for problems. When that is done click the "Fix Selected Entries" tab and that will remove them. Now click the "immunize" tab on the left. Click the "check Again" tab at the top. Than click the "immunize" tab at the top. (next to the green +) Now your done with Spybot.

Note** If any time after these it says it can't remove the spyware and it asks if you want it to run after reboot select yes.

Now we're on to Microsofts new product. *Note* This program isn't really nessicary because the definitions and technique is almost identicle to Adaware's but I will add it nonetheless. *Note* Install and make sure you select it to auot-update and join the spy-net community. (This is during installation) I also recommend having it scan every morning at 2am. Ok first things first. Lets switch some options. So annoying pop-ups from the program pop-up. Click the options tab and lick setings. Under the AutoUpdater tab uncheck the box under. Definition update notifications.
Now go under the Alerts tab and uncheck everything here. (Again this is not mandatory, it can just get annoying) Under the general tab select whatever you feel fits. I recommend leaving it a default although you may want to hide the icon in the system tray. Now click save so your settings are saved. Now click file: check for updates to see if there are any new updates. Now click on the Spyware Scan icon in the upper right. In here on the left side click scan options. I recommend once again to do a full scan but an intelligent scan is also effective. Now click "Run Scan Now." When that is complete a box will appear giving you info on the scan. Click "View Results." This will show you all of the found spyware and descriptions. you can putz around reading what they all do. Microsoft recommends what to do with each infestation. Will I recommend screw Microsoft and switch all of them to remove. Than click the finish icon and you are finish with Microsoft anti-spyware.

Hi-jack this is a simple program. Open the program. It has a list for things for new users. Just click none of the above just open the program. Click the can button and when it's complete click the save log button. Save the log somewhere where you can find it. Now you need to post the log here: Tom Coyote Forums Now it's important that you do not run any spyware scans or download anything untill you know what to delete because that will alter your log. When you recieve a post telling you what to delete run the program again but instead of saving the log check all of the items you were told to delete and click the "remove checked button." Now we are finished with this program.

Now install Mozilla Firefox and use it instead of IE. Mozzila is a free internet browser that really beats down on Internet Explorer. From security to ease of use to customization ability. The extensions are great. I suggest you go to www.mozilla.org to check it out.

I have never used AVG AntiVirus. But I have heard great things about it so I'm going to install it soon to check it out.

After you have run the following I suggest restarting your PC.

Important** Run the spyware scans at least 4 times a week. the anti-virus at least once a month. Also run the cleanup wizard once a week. Defragment your computer once every two weeks. And scan the disk for errors at least once a month - once every two months. If you do not know how to do any of the defragging, etc. post below and I will add it in.

I also maybe be adding a firewall soon.

Some people may suggest installing Service Pack 2. If you have never got it because you heard it caused more grief then help. You can disregard it because Microsoft has fixed any major problems with SP2. Even though you should still back up your files nonetheless.

I hope this tutorial helps. Any questions, comments, or concerns please post here, pm me, or email me.

Re: Starrs Computer Repair Shop

Wow... well done for that! That must have took ages!!! :eek: :D This has some valuable info people should read if there not sure on what they need to protect themselves from the wild internet

Indeed... the internet is a beast, ready to consume you if you are not careful!

I hear that, spyware ,bots, and malware can cause some really undesired effects on a computer.Luckly we have software like Adaware to rid of it.

Kage said:
Wow... well done for that! That must have took ages!!! :eek: :D This has some valuable info people should read if there not sure on what they need to protect themselves from the wild internet

Yes, it was time consuming but well worth it in my eyes. I'm going to add to it when I get the time.

I kind of want to keep this towards the top. Anyway, does anyone have any other programs I should look at?

well if it gets posted often for starters and also if u can get a mod to sticky it it will stay at the top, but i dont think theyll sticky something like this cuz they have enough stickys as is.

Back
Top Bottom