AMD releases dual core

Status
Not open for further replies.
SSE4 said:
I agree. Presler will be something good, or at least it's looking very good (In theory). I'm very personal here, because unfortunately I don't feel the people here learn any other way. The Smithfield is definitely good for encoding and whatnot, but it certainly does fall short, and none of us expected wonders from it, especially since multithreaded support is so low. Just like in-game performance, you wont see an increase with AMD dual-cores either.

We need to wait for multithreaded applications to become mainstream before multi-core processors show their true worth. To stay on subject, the AMD dual-core offering is stomping all over the Prescott-based Smithfield, but none of us expected otherwise.

This is true, and since AMD brought out both lines at the same time, servers can benefit IMMEDIATELY from the 800 series Opterons. However, their I/O bandwidth didn't double... I was a little disappointed with the 87% percent increase as opposed to the 100% I was expecting, still, excellent design pattern.

mr.monger said:
i read somewhere that the fx-57 is coming out l8r this yr. i think itll be dualcore and itll run at 2.8ghz. if anyone has heard of this plz tell me if itll be dualcore.

No. The FX-57 will stay single-core. It's already good enough single-core.

alvino said:
No. The FX-57 will stay single-core. It's already good enough single-core.

And Alvino is correct. GJ vino meister. :D The Toldeo is the newest dual core from AMD, and the Egypt is going to be the future of the Opteron.

Why are you guys going crazy over dual-cores? They aren'y for regulaer desktops. They are to be used in multi-threaded programs. All programs that home users use aren't multi-threaded, they are single threaded. Workstations and the like can take advantage of this. The only thing that you guys can say is "Sweet, i have a dual core, you don't." No reason to buy one until they can use one core for gmaing while the other core operates the music playing or something.

Like rakedog said, igve it some years for it to be useful. If you need improvement get a Venice or Sandiego core. If that isn't enough for you get a FX-57. And if that isn't enough get a 69xx along with it. I don't think anyone here wouldn't be satisfied with a FX-55 or FX-57 or Athlon 4000+.

Pcrepair said:
Why are you guys going crazy over dual-cores? They aren'y for regulaer desktops. They are to be used in multi-threaded programs. All programs that home users use aren't multi-threaded, they are single threaded. Workstations and the like can take advantage of this. The only thing that you guys can say is "Sweet, i have a dual core, you don't." No reason to buy one until they can use one core for gmaing while the other core operates the music playing or something.

Like rakedog said, igve it some years for it to be useful. If you need improvement get a Venice or Sandiego core. If that isn't enough for you get a FX-57. And if that isn't enough get a 69xx along with it. I don't think anyone here wouldn't be satisfied with a FX-55 or FX-57 or Athlon 4000+.

Well look at that. Yet another person who just proved the stupid "AMD64 because it's 64-bit compatible" argument wrong. But guess what, with multi-core processors coming out, the number of supported multithreaded applications is going to see a big boost in the future, in order to support the new multi-cores. They will most likely be mainstream by 2007, it just takes a few years.

Multi-core solutions are very useful, but it's true most of the benefit will be seen in servers and/or having "bragging rights". It doesn't mean that multi-core processors isn't a significant improvement worthy of praise though.

Did you read my post because you obviously didn't. I said wait.I never said don't buy it. I said wait. Next time please readmy post throughly before responding to it.

Yeah. You could say wait for 64-bit too genius. And why would someone want to wait if they want the technology right away, have a server, or do a lot of encoding? Oh wait, sorry, you would be wrong. This would be "thinking of the future" in much the same way as buying an AMD64 processor for 64-bit compatability. Next time, read my post.

I am a genius thanks :D. A 64-bit cpu is great because Longhorn has shipped out according to sources. I mean do you understand that every cpu isn't for home use? By all means, get it if you feel like it. You will realize that it wasn't worth it.

Let's remember about self-control here...I'm sure all of you don't want a little break (aka temporary bans) just because of a dumb arguement about CPU's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom