Half Life crashes to desktop

DMB14

Baseband Member
At one point in HL1 the games stops to load to a new scene/area, but instead of going to the next are the game crashes and I'm back at my desktop. What's going on?

Are you running it fully from the hard drive? Running some from the CD?

I would say to get new graphics drivers, though with a game as old as that, this probably wouldn't help...

Could you possibly post your system specs? Graphics card?

Seems to me like its a software problem though

I have Intel GMA900 graphics. I have been playing a bunch of other games and this has never happened.

I'm running the game through Steam.

If it happens at every time you try, it could easily be something wrong with the software, like a corruption. If it was more hard ware or driver based, it would happen at different times mroe frequently.

what other programs do you have running? sometimes if i have too many programs running games crash to the desktop, mabye you should see what programs are running and see if there is one program that is taking up too much processing power...

Yeah I didn't think of that. It might be worth checking out, especially if it happens in an area with lots going on and your CPU has to power most of the graphics power since its onboard

I'm running antivirus and antispyware stuff at the same time.

The game isn't crashing during a stressful part. It's when I'm walking through a hallway and all you can see is plain gray walls.

GFX corruption. You will need to either download the latest driver sets for the onboard chip, and or reinstall the game, or a combination of both. Now, if it is a memory write problem, then try reseating your memory modules, and then go into the RUN command on the start bar. Type in cmd in that. Then when it loads cmd up, type in chkdsk /r. It will ask if you want to schedule it, input yes, and then restart your PC and let it run. Hope that fixes it. Give me an update if it does or doesnt.

Back
Top Bottom