Burning probs

AJB1

Solid State Member
Burning probs & now Drive probs

Hello everyone
I have a prob and hope you peeps can help.

I'm running xp home and have two burners, both liteons, one a dvd burner and the other is a cd burner. My problem is that I can't just copy files to the drive as a floppy would operate. Burning music or any other cd or dvd's is no problem but just sending a file to one of the drive I get a message saying that the cd is not writable. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Andrew

System
Asus A7N8X Mobo
Athlon 3.0
512mb
128 graphics
16x10x40x liteon cd-rw
48x liteon dvd-rw

The disks I'm trying to write to are CD-RW's.
I have tried to disable the xp copying software but the booger still pops up with "there are files to be written to the disk" messages.
I have also downloaded and installed the latest update for nero 6.(InCD)
But I still can't open and write to the disks like they were floppies.
cheers Andrew

What you need to do is go to my comp. find your drive icon & right click it, scroll down to properties. click the recording tab, and put a check mark in the box . Now you should be able to just drag files and what not to your drive and it will write them instead of asking.

I have uninstalled InCD for now and will try to re-load it again soon. I have also tried setting the recording tick on and still no joy. All that happens is windows puts a copy of the files into a holding area and then I can't get them to actually burn to CDRW. Even when I eject the CDRW the disk just comes straight out rather than copying the files to disk, then ejecting. Its all a bit of a pain because I like to back all my files to CDRW in case of any problems, which would mean I'd have to re-install windows and lose my info. I shall keep trying to get the booger working but any more suggestions would be gratefully recieved.
Andrew

Um...

Music and movie burning programs will format a cd-rw before laying anything down on the disc. If you just pop in a blank and it's not formated it will act as if the cd is not there or tell you it can't write to it. Cd-rw's are like floppies in some respects. Main one is they are pretty much useless untill formatted.

Have you got Nero? I find this makes the process soo much easier. Using the default windows one takes time.

Though after you have inserted the blank media into the drive, just dragging data to the drive is no good, as this won't start the copy like a floppy drive.
You'll have to click on 'Write these files to CD' on the left under the CD writing tab and this should start it :) As Windows will save what its got to copy as shortcuts, and if you don't want to copy these anymore, deleting them from the drive will not do it harm, and won't delete the real files from the drive.

Hope this helps. If you have Nero 6 you should be able to open this program up under Programs and copy using this method instead, this will be a worthwhile option as it supports more settings/modes and DVD copying better. Unless you only have the plugin to make the Windows one work, in which case, buy Nero 6. You'll find it much much better, trust me!

I have got Nero 6 + update installed but copying dvd's and cd's or just burning straight forward disks is no problem. Its the packet writing software I'm having trouble with. I have had InCD + update installed but windows seems to insist that I use its own writing software to write to a CD-RW disk, which I don't want. I want to have a disk in the drive and be able to open a file from the disk then edit it, then re-save it to the disk and for the pc to write the file straight away, not wait for me to tell it to. I used to be able to do this but a windows update or some other program update has changed something and now I'm unable to.
Andrew

Oh. I get what you mean.
That would be good, though I never have used the Windows one except in college where i've had to,once! Its a pretty annoying add on, but it would be great if it worked like that! :D

Back
Top Bottom