OCing Athlon 3800+ 64 HOW HIGH???

Duzz

In Runtime
How high has anyone see a 3800+ go on a OC? would appriciate any help to see what i could be exspecting, Newcastle Core.

Ah... the newcastle can do pretty good, but watch the heat since it is 130nm core wafer build. The silicon can only handle a max of 67-69 degress celcius! I recommend stopping on AMDs at 58celcius, dont go higher, it shortens the processor lifetime.

Now, since the multiplyer is locked, you need to use the FSB. So this OCing will really stress the MOBO and northbridge controller more then the CPU. Make sure the voltages are stable and run prime95 or HOTCPUTESTER 4 after each OCing stage. Here is how I would do that.

Stage1: FSB=215MHz HTx=5X
Stage2: FSB=225MHz HTx=4x
Stage3: FSB=240MHz HTx=4x
Stage4: FSB=260MHz HTx=4X VOLTAGE= 1.575V

Now, you can go higher, but watch the heat. I wouldn't push it over 3.0GHz if I were you, especially with Air Cooling... Liquid or phase change, you could go 3.5GHz or so, but no more then that stability wise.

wow good advice easterndigital! seems you know your stuff.
i wouldnt bother OC'ing as it voids the warranty on the CPU.

EasternDigital said:
Ah... the newcastle can do pretty good, but watch the heat since it is 130nm core wafer build. The silicon can only handle a max of 67-69 degress celcius! I recommend stopping on AMDs at 58celcius, dont go higher, it shortens the processor lifetime.

Now, since the multiplyer is locked, you need to use the FSB. So this OCing will really stress the MOBO and northbridge controller more then the CPU. Make sure the voltages are stable and run prime95 or HOTCPUTESTER 4 after each OCing stage. Here is how I would do that.

Stage1: FSB=215MHz HTx=5X
Stage2: FSB=225MHz HTx=4x
Stage3: FSB=240MHz HTx=4x
Stage4: FSB=260MHz HTx=4X VOLTAGE= 1.575V

Now, you can go higher, but watch the heat. I wouldn't push it over 3.0GHz if I were you, especially with Air Cooling... Liquid or phase change, you could go 3.5GHz or so, but no more then that stability wise.

Are you sure that that processor can go past 3.0? its kind of hard to do.

Lets see here i have a Swifttech water cooling system im going to use. And i have the newest DFI MOBO SLi board from newegg. Im a newb but i guess the Newest DFI board supports alot of stress.

Im glade you like to scare newbs, but im realy not scare, something Horrible to you may not even be noticed by me, a newb so when you come across haveing to say something, make sure i know what you are talking about because well the board will probualy do everything i will ever want it to do, and as for me haveing good luck, thanks i need it :)

DFI isn't good man, he isn't lying. BUT, 3.0GHz I never said. Sorry, it is hard to push it that far, but with a liquid cooling system, and a 200MHz FSB barrier, you can do it with great care and time.

Back
Top Bottom